The purpose of the Principal Toxicologist
role is to contribute medical/scientific excellence and, as required, project-based leadership of Toxicology and associated nonclinical activities across the global GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare (GSKCH) organization.
The role will serve as a resource of scientific excellence, dedicated to delivering professional high quality toxicological expertise to ensure the safety of all new and existing GSKCH products. Interacting with internal teams, such as Innovation, Medical, Regulatory, Clinical Development, Pharmacovigilance, as well as external groups and individuals, such as Trade Associations, Academic Researchers, Contract Research Organizations (CRO), Health Care Practitioners, Government Agencies and Health Care Organizations to help achieve company objectives and to build GSKCH reputation.
The role will have accountability for and oversight of the following activities with the complexity of multiple stakeholders, as well as different Regions, with complex governance and business expectations:
- Escalation of all toxicology issues affecting GSKCH to the Toxicology Director Worldwide
- Ensure effective and timely communication of key safety issues, scientific information and risk assessments for those categories/ sub-categories for which they have responsibility
- Implement planning, monitoring, and reporting of toxicology studies
- Support the implementation and compliance of the corporate animal testing policy and associated GSKCH operating procedures in conduct of animal research
- Collate, summarize and interpret toxicological and other relevant data to be used either internally or to be submitted to regulatory authorities
- Prepare and/or provide critical scientific review of nonclinical Common Technical Documents (CTDs) for regulatory submission
- Represent and/or provide oversight for GSKCH business on key industry initiatives related to toxicology and/or animal welfare issues. Specifically Trade Association groups (e.g. CTPA, PCPC, CHPA, Cosmetics Europe) and industry alliances to provide expert advice in support of business interests and act as focal point for communication with relevant therapeutic categories/businesses.
- Manage project related spend
- Assist in the management and strategic leadership for outsourced vendors
Participate in project teams and provide:
- Timely recommendations for toxicological assessments or testing, and advise project team of the impact that recommended actions will have on project timeline
- Advise on safety assessments of new and existing products in support of registration and marketing
- Expert toxicological documentation to support regulatory submissions (medicinal CTDs, cosmetic dossiers, medical device technical files, periodic update reports and responses to regulatory authorities) for new and existing GSKCH products on global markets as well as provide expert toxicological assessments/opinions to address internal and external issues raised on marketed products, to include medical assessments in support of product quality investigations
- Expert toxicological documentation for the Consumer Healthcare Safety and Labeling Committee (CHSLC) and participation in discussions at CHSLC
- Provide local Safety Reassurance as required, including the conduct and documentation of safety assessments of formulations/individual ingredients to determine the safety and regulatory compliance of GSKCH products marketed to the public
Contribute to the design and agree with Toxicology Director Worldwide on programs of toxicology studies for specific compounds intended to fill gaps in knowledge to support Clinical and Regulatory departments:
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Monitor toxicology studies at approved contract research organizations to provide high quality data to agreed timings and within budget constraints in support of specific projects.
- Contribute to the interpretation and reporting of study results to project team
- Ensure team awareness as to the significance of results from toxicology studies and recommend consequential course of action to clarify issues relevant to project development.
- Evaluate, interpret and summarize toxicological data on product formulations or ingredients and make recommendations on its adequacy
- Ensure project specific work is carried out according to GLP/GMP/GCP standards as defined in the FDA, EU and ICH guidelines, thus assuring the manufacture and release of quality products for human use
- Be familiar with specific requirements of regulatory authorities for toxicological data on specific product/compound types in different therapeutic categories so as to be better able to offer advice and make recommendations to project/category management teams
- Provide Nonclinical and Toxicology expertise on potential licensed products (due diligence)
- Provision of Safety Reassurance to Ethics Committees and Institutional Review Board for GSKCH test articles to be used in human subject testing
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelors Degree in Toxicology, Nonclinical Pharmacology ·
- 5+ years of experience in toxicology in consumer product industry, pharmaceutical industry or CRO
- Experience in the preparation of nonclinical CTD modules for regulatory submission
- Experience and knowledge of cosmetic, medical device, and medicinal product development requirements
- Experience with, and proven track record of, research ability and independent academic thought
- Experience in managing nonclinical studies, plus basic competency in management of all major types of regulatory toxicology studies, particularly a detailed knowledge of the principles of in-vitro toxicology and a strong understanding of cosmetic and drug development.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
Why Consumer Healthcare?
- Master's Degree or PhD in Toxicology, Nonclinical Pharmacology ·
- Experience with specific product categories and/or therapeutic areas is a plus
- Knowledge and experience of nonclinical data requirements and regulatory guidelines. Experience with regulations in EU, US and China is a plus.
- Well organized, able to review and monitor work conducted by others, especially at contractors / partners.
Right now, we're on an incredible journey as we prepare to become the first independent, 100% focused consumer healthcare company. We're doing this at a time when the work we do has never mattered more. Better everyday health is about improving the health and wellness of the consumers that we touch every year - over a billion and a half of them - and it goes beyond products. It's about truly helping people manage their health proactively in different ways as consumer needs evolve. With category leading brands such as Sensodyne, Voltaren and Centrum, built on trusted science and human understanding, and combined with our passion, knowledge and expertise, we're uniquely placed to do this and to grow a strong, successful business. This is an exciting time to join us and help shape the future. It's an opportunity to be part of something special.Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
In Consumer Healthcare we embrace our diverse workforce by creating an inclusive environment that celebrates our unique perspectives, generates curiosity to create unmatched understanding of each other, and promotes fair and equitable outcomes for everyone.
We're striving to create a climate where we celebrate our diversity in all forms by treating each other with respect, listening to different viewpoints, supporting our communities, and creating a workplace where your authentic self belongs and thrives.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record