PFEWhy Patients Need You
Everything we do, every day, is in line with an unwavering commitment to the quality and the delivery of safe and effective products to patients. Our science and risk-based compliant quality culture is flexible, innovative, and customer oriented. Whether you are involved in development, maintenance, compliance or analysis through research programs, your contribution will directly impact patients.What You Will Achieve
The BioMedicine Design group at Pfizer is committed to supporting the Rare Disease Research Unit in the development of new therapies to address unmet medical needs of those individuals with rare and neglected diseases and to make a real impact on patient lives.
The Vector Production suite at Kit Creek is fitted with state-of-the art laboratories and equipment, providing the perfect environment for cutting-edge science and exciting projects. We are dedicated to the discovery and development of Gene Therapy based products and our commitment to rare disease research and to genetic medicine development is expected to be an area of tremendous growth in the coming years.
This individual will be working closely with fellow R&D scientists to manufacture research grade AAV viral vectors to support AAV candidate selection for future gene therapy applications.
This position offers a challenging and exciting opportunity for implementing and learning different microbial and mammalian cell culture techniques and to solve complex biological problems. It also brings a unique chance to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues across the world while developing and expanding your career. The ideal candidate is a highly talented and self-motivated individual with a strong scientific backgroundHow You Will Achieve It
The role will be part of a small, but expanding team, that will have the responsibility for manufacturing research grade AAV-based gene therapy vectors to support early product development and AAV candidate selection. The role will involve working with equipment necessary for small-scale production of various AAV vectors and DNA plasmids. The individual must be able to conduct work with a quality mindset.
- Serve as a scientist for research grade AAV vector manufacturing overseeing multiple projects
- Manufacturing of AAV or other viral vectors for the purpose of aiding in the AAV candidate selection process for gene therapy programs.
- Manufacturing AAV vectors to support R&D experimentation using shaker flasks, WAVE bioreactors, stir tank bioreactors, transfection, centrifugation, and chromatography techniques.
- Work with relevant teams to carry out project plans and meet timelines to support the early development of gene therapy programs
- Ensure high quality core support for projects.
- Ensure manufacturing supplies and reagents are available for use when needed
- Must ensure detailed lab notebooks are part of daily activities
- Support internal and external collaboration, through direct interactions, data analysis, and work plan alignment.
- Maintain laboratory in accordance with GLP-like practices.
- Establish SOP's specific to the manufacturing job roles and activities to ensure consistency.
- Understand and follow various Pfizer guidelines.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences, Biochemical engineering or a related field and 6+ years of relevant laboratory experience OR Master's degree and 4+ years of experience
- Prior experience in AAV vector manufacturing is strongly preferred
- Experience in the culture of mammalian cell lines and microbial cells either in adherent or suspension system
- Prior work with WAVE and stir tank bioreactors and downstream process equipment
- Prior experience in small scale cell culture is essential
- Understanding CL2 safety requirements, practice of good sterile techniques, and prior work experience with viruses and mammalian cells including HEK293
- Ability to develop and follow detailed SOPs
- Demonstrated history of successful troubleshooting and experimental design
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience and hands-on knowledge of HPLC and HPLC equipment, including method development and analysis.
- Experience with column packing for FLPC
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development