The University of Lübeck is known for excellent research and excellent teaching. We are a modern foundation university with thematically oriented courses of study. Under the slogan "Focus on Life", as a life science university we offer a broad spectrum ranging from medicine, health sciences and psychology to mathematics, informatics, natural sciences and technology.
The University of Lübeck uses structure-based design and chemical synthesis to design and develop novel small-molecule drugs targeting coronaviruses (see J. Med. Chem. 63:4562; Science 368:409; EMBO J. 40:e102277). Within these projects, we seek to fill two positions for Research Scientists (m/f/d) in the field of structural biology preferably as of August 01, 2022. The positions are full-time (currently 38.7 working hours per week) or part-time, both with fixed-term contracts depending on the running time of the individual project (February 29, 2024, and July 31, 2024, respectively).
Focus of activities:
- Recombinant production of target proteins for antiviral agents
- Crystallization and X-ray structure analysis
- Application of biophysical methods for the characterization of inhibitor complexes and mutated proteins
- Chemical synthesis planning, designing, and docking of inhibitors
- An excellent master's degree / A Ph.D. in the fields of biochemistry, chemistry, molecular life sciences, physics, or a related area
- Mastering standard crystallography techniques, including data collection, data processing, structure solving, and refinement
- Knowledge of organic chemical synthesis methods, chemical synthesis design, and structure-based drug design
- Solid knowledge in recombinant protein production and purification
- Good knowledge of the programming language PYTHON is an advantage
- Knowledge of biophysical methods for the characterization of proteins, e.g., IC50, MST, SPR are desired
- Good written and spoken English skills
- Ideally, one position should be filled by a specialist in macromolecular crystallography and one position by a specialist in structure-based drug design. Expertise in synthesis planning is mandatory. Practical work in the field of synthesis chemistry is not part of the duties of the position holder. These will be carried out in external cooperation.
We offer you:
- Company pension plan
- Flexible working hours
- Mobile working
- Possibilities for compatibility of work and family
- NAH-SH-Jobticket, participation in university sports, discounted canteen food on campus and a lot more offers for employees
- Health management
- Further training opportunities
- Payment will follow salary group E13 TV-L, if conditions based on German Public Service regulations are satisfied. A final job classification remains reserved.
The University of Lübeck is a modern and open-minded employer. We welcome your application regardless of your age, gender, cultural and social background, religion, ideology, disability or sexual identity. We promote gender equality. Women are given priority in cases of equivalent qualification, capability and professional performance. As an applicant with a severe disability or equivalent, we will give you preferential consideration provided you are suitably qualified.
For further information, please contact Prof. Rolf Hilgenfeld (firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. +49 451-3101-9058/-9066).
Written applications and relevant documents (Curriculum Vitae, certificates, names and addresses of two possible referees) must be received no later than July 10, 2022 as a single PDF to the e-mail address email@example.com quoting the reference number 1028/22 or by mail to:
Universität zu Lübeck – Die Präsidentin – Referat Personal
Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23562 Lübeck