About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Receives and reviews past due bills and follow-up documents for large balance accounts. Contacts patients, guarantors and/or third-party organizations to secure payments or arrange alternative settlement plans. Prepares and maintains collection related records and reports.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Contacts patients/guarantors or third-party representatives by telephone, correspondence and meetings to resolve outstanding large balances in accordance with departmental follow-up procedures.
- Responds to correspondence and calls forwarded from the customer service unit.
- Investigates and/or ensures that questions and requests for information are responded to in a timely and professional manner to ensure resolution of outstanding accounts.
- Works with other outside services to develop and monitor reimbursement.
- Analyzes accounts and determines when accounts are uncollectable. Prepares write-off recommendations in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintains record of account activity and actions taken to effect collection.
- Documents accurate data (such as cash, adjustments, write-offs, etc.) for management reports.
- Maintains volume and productivity information and prepares daily and weekly productivity statistics for management review.
- Updates account receivable with appropriate transactions to reflect current billing and/or collection status.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of expertise. Maintains current knowledge of collection policies and procedures and related legislation.
- Maintains a positive customer service image when dealing with department personnel, patients, physicians, insurance companies and other City of Hope employees.
- High School or equivalent.
- 2-3 years collections experience including prior experience in health care.
- Working knowledge and understanding of laws governing collection practices.
- Strong knowledge of 3rd party/government billing/collection and reimbursement requirements.
- Working knowledge of insurance and medical terminology.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- This position is part of a collective bargaining agreement.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.