To strengthen our team in the division "Analysis of Artefacts and Cultural Assets" in Berlin-Steglitz, starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Research assistant, PhD (m/f/d) in the field of chemistry, analytical chemistry, biology, microbiology or equivalent
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
Collaboration in the Cluster of Excellence "Understanding Written Artefacts":
Scientific characterisation of microbially induced corrosion processes on art and cultural objects.
Due to the close cooperation with the Cluster of Excellence "Understanding Written Artefacts", the focus of the materials to be investigated is on written media. These are both inorganic (stone, ceramics, metal) and organic materials (paper, parchment, wood).
These processes are to be studied using selected model systems, which are similar to those used in business and technology.
1.) Can we transfer previous research findings from the thematic field "MIC" (microbially induced corrosion) project?
2.) Can insights be gained for the permanent preservation of written artefacts?
- Successfully completed scientific university studies in the field of chemistry, analytical chemistry, biology, microbiology, or a comparable discipline
- Very good doctorate in a suitable subject area
- Comprehensive knowledge of analytical chemistry and/or microbiology
- Willingness to cooperate across disciplines (both in terms of interdisciplinary cooperation between chemistry and biology in order to understand complex reaction mechanisms, as well as transdisciplinary cooperation between the natural sciences and the humanities)
- Fluent in written and spoken German and English
- Good communication and information behaviour, goal-oriented and structured way of working, ability to work in a team/willingness to cooperate, flexibility and conceptual, strategic and innovative thinking skills
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
We welcome applications via the online application form by 17.07.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 115/22-4.5 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Mr Prof. Dr. Hahn will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-3821 and/or by email to Oliver.Hahn@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a high level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.