The South Dakota State University Department of Biology and Microbiology seeks a scientific leader to collaboratively enhance the region’s biotechnology sector. The department invites applications for the Richard and Janice Vetter Endowed Professorship in Biotechnology. This is a tenure-track position at the associate or full professor level, full-time, 9 months per contract year, and benefits eligible with potential for tenure upon hire. The successful candidate will establish and lead a strong collaborative research program related to biological production of polymers or of nutrition products and will leverage the new POET Bioproducts Institute. The position carries a teaching course load of at least one course per year to support the Biotechnology program. A protocol is in place to enable course release where externally funded research provides alternative support. This position is supervised by the Department Head of Biology & Microbiology and has an anticipated start date of Fall 2022.
South Dakota State University promotes access to and opportunities for all to receive the benefit of and participate in education, research, and service and is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to this land-grant mission of access.
The Richard and Janice Vetter Endowed Professorship in Biotechnology will:
- Provide research, teaching and team leadership to elevate the department and grow the Biotechnology academic programs
- Provide outreach to the Biotechnology sector in the region
- Report to the Head of the Department of Biology and Microbiology
- Partner with the Dean’s Office for initiatives of the College of Natural Sciences
- PhD in a discipline closely related to biotechnology.
- Demonstrated success leading extramurally funded biotechnology research program
- Strong team leadership and mentoring skills in the area of biotechnology
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal , and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated use of technology in managing and/or delivering educational and research programs.
- Sponsorship is not available for this position. Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Evidence of scholarly, professional or creative achievement sufficient to qualify for tenure in the Department of Biology & Microbiology
- Demonstrated success in leading multi-disciplinary collaboration
- Evidence of excellence in teaching biotechnology related courses
- Demonstrated ability or potential to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate educational materials and direct effective programs
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this job.” This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, Curriculum Vitae, a statement of research interests and accomplishments (attached as Work Sample, three page limit), a statement of mentoring and teaching philosophy (attached as Other, three page limit) and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment. It is university policy to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.