The downstream and formulation process development team is seeking a highly motivated scientist
to work in high-throughput process development (HTPD) for gene therapy. This is a unique opportunity to work with advanced HTPD and automation tools
, and cutting edge Adeno-Associated Viral Vectors
. The position resides within the HTPD core of the Downstream and Formulation Process Development team.
The associate will work with experienced scientists to use automation tools for high-throughput chromatography and downstream experimentation. Key focus areas will include (a) chromatography optimization, (b) chromatography robustness, and (c) HT material purification
to support partner groups such as cell culture and cell line development. Strong collaboration skills will be important when working with multiple stakeholders and multiple projects. General preparative and analytical chromatography experience with biologics is required. Strong quantitative skills (DOE and similar) are required to work with and interpret multifactor datasets. Familiarity with lab automation (Tecan/Hamilton), programming (Python/Matlab), and gene therapy is preferred but not required.
- Work with HTPD core team members to execute key chromatography studies
- Collaboration with upstream and cell line development colleagues to purify material to support bioreactor optimization.
- Statistical analysis (JMP, DOE) to analyze key datasets
- Keep accurate experiments records and write reports to summarize data
% of Time
Job Function and Description
Chromatography optimization: Use HTPD techniques to optimize and assess robustness of key chromatography manufacturing steps
Support upstream and cell-line development work by using HTPD chromatography techniques to purify materials for quality determination
Analytical testing (HPLC, DLS, and similar) of material from key experiments
Collaboration with automation and data scientists to improve automation workflows
Effective communication of work through reports and presentations.
Education and Experience Requirements
- BS (+2years relevant experience), in chemical engineering, bioengineering, biochemistry, or related area.
- Experience with preparative and analytical chromatography (Akta, HPLC)
- Experience with purification of biologics (proteins, vaccines, viral vectors)
- Familiarity with multifactor statistics (DOE, JMP, or similar)
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Experience with chromatography automation (Robocolumns, Tecan, Protein Maker)
- Experience with downstream process development (chromatography, filtration) of viral vectors (AAV preferred).
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Hardworking, proactive, creative thinker
- Able to juggle multiple parallel objectives
- Strong quantitative skills
- Ability to collaborate with coworkers across a wide range of backgrounds
Internal and External Contacts
- Design and execute HTPD studies
- Work with collaborators to reliably handle samples and communicate data
- Work with HTPD team to improve and standardize workflows for efficient execution and analysis of experiments
- Fellow HTPD team members: to execute key studies and improve HTPD workflows
- Downstream process development and downstream manufacturing science: to execute key studies for process development
- Automation team: to implement and improve key new workflows
Other Job Requirements
- Cell line development and upstream colleagues: to purify and determine quality of key samples
Are there any other requirements such as below:
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to wear appropriate clean room attire and all Personal Protective Equipment
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.