Arnold & Porter, an international law firm, is seeking a Life Sciences Patent Law Clerk or Patent Agent for the Intellectual Property practice group in the Washington DC office. The Patent Law Clerk/ Patent Agent will be directly supervised by an attorney and get individualized patent law training. Ideal candidates will be organized, detail-oriented and able to follow up on instructions independently. Benefits include a competitive salary and a tuition reimbursement program when applicable.
Please include a cover letter, resume, school transcripts (please include each school), and writing sample with your online application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Preparing and filing new patent applications and other patent prosecution documents.
- Conducting client technology and patent portfolio assessments.
- Supporting business development.
- Managing large domestic and foreign dockets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. and significant graduate level experience.
- Broad training in the biological sciences are sought, with expertise in plant biology, biochemistry, genetics, chemistry, microbiology, entomology, immunology or chemical engineering highly preferred.
- Research experience or training in RNA silencing, genome editing, nucleic acids chemistry, microbiomes, quantitative genetics, process and reactor design, separation technologies, thermodynamics and kinetics is desirable.
- Excellent academic credentials and references.
- Law school or prior legal training or enrollment in law school is not required.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively working in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Exceptional client service both internal and external.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race (inclusive of traits historically associated with race, including hair texture and protective hairstyles), ethnicity, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.