The Faculty of Chemistry of the Silesian University of Technology is looking for an outstanding researcher and innovative manager with a proven record of effective leadership who will establish their own research team and help to create the multidisciplinary Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Organic Electronics.
ERA Chair Holder’s position will ensure the teaching and research autonomy and will require, among others, applying for research funding and making resource allocation decisions.
Job title: European Research Area (ERA) Chair Holder
Call (part) identifier: H2020-WIDESPREAD-2018-2020-6 (Horizon 2020)
Project title: Creation and development of an ERA Chair and Centre of Excellence in Organic Electronics as a strategic point of development for science and innovation in the Silesian region and Poland (ExCEED) erachair.com
Location: Poland, Silesia region, Silesian University of Technology in Gliwice, Faculty of Chemistry.
Profile: Established Researcher (R3) / Leading Researcher (R4)
Contract length: From position appointment till 31.08.2025 (with an option to extend the permanent university position)
Starting date: 1.09.2022
Contract type: Full time
Salary: 8000 Euro gross per month incl. employer’s contributions to healthcare, pension, etc.
Application deadline: 24.07.2022
The candidate’s qualifications and experience:
- A PhD diploma in Physics, Chemistry or a related field;
- At least six years of post-doctoral experience;
- Research excellence and experience recognized internationally, proven by strong publication record;
- Have a Hirsch index of at least 25 according to the Scopus database;
- Not employed by Silesian University of Technology in the last 4 years;
- Experience in PhD supervision (a handful of supervised or co-supervised PhD candidates), at least 5 defended PhD students;
- High communication and networking skills;
- High leadership skills (e.g. management and leading national and international research projects);
- Ability to create an innovative environment for research
- Experience in organization of international conferences and participation in scientific committees;
- Membership in the renovated international scientific organization in the area connected to organic electronics.
ERA Chair Holder will have an autonomous position as a Silesian University of Technology (www.polsl.pl/en) Professor as a part of the European Project ExCEED (erachair.com), that will allow her/him to recruit (he/she will be free to choose) at least 4 experienced researchers (ERA Chair team members) to support the ERA Chair over the duration of the project. She or he will formulate a Strategic Research Programme for the CoE, make appropriate resource allocation decisions, supervise team members and freely apply for research funding, in order to raise the level of research excellence of the institution. The ERA Chair Team will be responsible for developing PhD training and a new Master’s specialization dedicated to Organic Electronics. Additionally, the ERA Chair Holder will recruit an innovation manager with a strong R&D background in organic electronics, microelectronics and/or physics to support Era Chair and CoE. Era Chair Holder will be appointed to a full-time position in accordance with Polish legislation for the remaining duration of the project.
- An autonomous position as a Professor at Faculty of Chemistry of Silesian University of Technology, where dynamic and international Research Group dedicated to the development of Organic Electronics has already existed (przemyslawdata.com; exceedresearch.com) and will support and help Era Chair to fully integrate with the institution;
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualification and experience, which is also very competitive compared to salaries in the public and private sectors in Poland;
- Supporting funds for hiring researcher and manager to establish his/her own research team;
- Numerous university pro-quality programs including:
- by PLN 10,000 gross per month for 12 months, for each publication in the main series (flagship) of Nature or Science journal,
- by PLN 3,5001 gross per month for 12 months, for each publication in a journal from the TOP1 list,
- by PLN 1,5001 gross per month for 12 months, for each publication in a journal from the TOP10 list,
- by PLN 8000 gross in the form of scholarship, for a publication published in cooperation with an author representing a foreign research centre or a non-academic partner,
- by PLN 10,0002 in the form of scholarship in the case of commencing the implementation of a Horizon 2020 or Horizon Europa project as the coordinator, for the duration of the project + remuneration from the project,
- by PLN 4,0002 in the form of scholarship in the case of commencing the implementation of a Horizon 2020 or Horizon Europa project as a partner, for the duration of the project + remuneration from the project,
- by PLN 1,500 a month in the case of employing a foreign employee for a project managed by the candidate, for the duration of the project,
- PLN 10,000 as a grant for obtaining a PhD student from abroad as part of a joint doctorate programme.
- Localization - Era Chair’s office will be situated in the historical building made of called “Red Chemistry” (https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Silesian_University_of_Technology) close to the city center. Gliwice (https://gliwice.eu/en/business-cards/300, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kI04znotOQ, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMX2N4FIaE) is a well-localized lovely city with amazing architectures. It is localized nearby Krakow and Wroclaw, one of the most charming cities of Poland. Additionally, the picturesque mountains are within the reach of one day trip. Silesia region (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV6dBc4b-MA) is well communicated with the most important Polish and European cities, here you have 3 big international airports within a radius of 100 km. Additionally, we have our own, very interesting culture and tradition. Here, you will have the opportunity to visit coal and silver mines (https://kopalniasrebra.pl/en/map-of-attractions/) and lots of other places which you have never seen before. Poland (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekz6i58kVpI) is a beautiful country full of surprises and what is more it is localized in a center of Europe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIzimI35SE) which gives you the opportunity to visit, easily, the most wonderful countries and places of the Old Continent.
The candidate selection process will follow a five-step process:
1. Short-listing of candidates by the Project Management Team based on submitted applications;
2. Invitation of short-listed candidates to a one-day interview and site visit (depending on the pandemic situation, the online interview and SUT presentation are also possible). The interview panel will comprise of members of the Project Management Team and SUT representatives (including an HR gender officer to ensure interviews are conducted in a gender-neutral manner). During the interview panel, the suitability of each candidate for the position will be determined. Candidates based far away (e.g. China, USA, etc) will be offered an alternative option of conducting their interview by phone or video-conference;
3. Final selection of the candidate by the Project Management Team;
4. Notifying the successful candidate within a maximum of two weeks after their interview;
5. Issuing of work contract to the selected candidate by SUT’s HR department
1. Application for employment;
2. Documents and statements confirming the fulfillment of general and additional requirements;
3. Curriculum Vitae (CV);
4. Cover Letter;
5. Information about the scientific record and scientific experience;
6. Candidate's declaration that the Silesian University of Technology will be the primary place of work;
7. Letters of recommendation (min. 2);
7. Research development plan for a period of 48 months with a schedule of its implementation, taking into account description of the research area and a way of its implementation at the SUT (Person employed will have four post-doctoral positions and at least two PhD student positions to recruit).
Application documents should be sent to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org till 24.07.2022 (11:59 PM CET).
Kindly note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 952008
 The amount of the grant for the team from the Silesian University of Technology shared in the amount depending on the author's participation among all authors from the University.
 Funds in the form of a scholarship awarded to the entire project team on behalf of the Silesian University of Technology, shared in the amount depending on the author's participation among all authors from the University.