The Materials Planning & Logistics Lead is responsible for leading and developing and managing the team responsible for execution of a materials planning, inventory management and Shipping/Receiving functions.
This includes: managing forecasting, planning, inventory control, warehouse, distribution and replenishment plans for cell banks, starting & raw materials, intermediates, samples and components to support the manufacture & supply of novel gene therapies.
This individual will work closely with Technical Development, Pilot-Scale Operations, Manufacturing Operations, Finance, Procurement, Supply Chain, Quality Control and Quality Assurance to meet the demands of Spark’s product pipeline.
Describe the essential daily job functions and include % of time spent on each.
% of Time
Job Function and Description
- Overall responsibility for all MP&L activities
- Create and implement best practice MP&L vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance (i.e. New materials introduction, implement changes, including aligning supply change inventory counts and establishing customer breakpoints, limiting obsolescence risk)
- Review opportunities to improve operational and financial performance and to ensure minimal risk, operational disruption and maximum customer satisfaction
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the organization and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities
- Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process
Support special projects and provide subject matter expertise (i.e. design and business readiness of new multiproduct Gene Therapy Innovation Center).
- Take ownership of MP&L policies, procedures, guidelines and any associated documents
General and Task Management
Oversee and manage inventory integrity, and review ways to optimize inventory levels
Ensure performance of off-site warehouse operations, including safety, quality, delivery, inventory management, and cost-effectiveness
Prepare and execute accurate and efficient wall-to-wall physical inventories and analyses.
Maintain data integrity of ERP system. Provide transactional data for evidence as requested
Ensure IT & Quality systems in place are effective, accurate and maintained and review opportunities to standardize and streamline utilizing current or new systems
Interpret and analyses complex data and trends and develop recommendations and strategies based on analysis
- Ensure that plans, schedules and performance metrics are available and regularly report progress to others.
Prepare team and participate in internal/external audits
- Foster Sparks Culture, Mission Vision and Values. Lead by example. Create an environment where team members thrive in our Culture by living our truths, always in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Emphasize to employees that “how” they achieve performance objectives is just as important as “what” they accomplish.
Provide leadership to:
Inspire and motivate the team
Consistently manages performance firmly and fairly
- Provide leadership, coordination and coaching to the team, ensuring they are trained enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and succeed in their roles
- Set department objectives and monitor ongoing progress and performance
- Ensure strong communication between teams under leadership to facilitate exchange of information and in order to implement change and improvements
- Developing the appropriate organizational structure, resource plans and culture to support the business objectives and customer deliverables
- Complete regular performance reviews, manage attendance, holidays, disciplinary issues and procedures as appropriate
- Establish strategy and best practices for staff to ensure achievement of overall business objectives. Work with the senior management team to translate strategy into specific annual performance goals and departmental objectives. including KPIs, and to track them
- Input and hold responsibility for MP&L budgets
- Oversee and optimize costs
- Prepare the annual MP&L budget and forecasts and all Capital Expenditure proposals as well as ensuring compliance with customer and legal requirements. Manage the budget from identification to completion of projects
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work collaboratively to ensure MP&L objectives are being met
- Communicate any concerns and recommend solutions without compromising quality or service and aim for cost optimization
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on MP&L activities
- Ensure performance of suppliers, logistics partners, transportation companies etc and make improvements and cost savings where possible
- Ensure on time, high quality delivery to all customers
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the materials planning and logistics strategy
- Maintain excellent relationships with customers and monitor performance and progress of deliveries to ensure customer satisfaction while optimizing costs
- Ensure compliance with import/export regulations/customs regulations including dangerous goods shipment and aviation security, and legal and health and safety requirements
Responsible at all times for promoting a safety culture and awareness within areas of responsibility. Support and enforce the Spark EH&S policy and associated procedures.
Knowledge of Lean Sigma techniques is a plus
Direct experience with import/export and international distribution licensing, depots and multi-market warehouses a plus.
Excellent working knowledge of GXP compliance as well as USP, EP, ICH, FDA, EMA guidelines.
- Requires a bachelors degree and 10+ years experience in supply chain, manufacturing, operations, Materials Science/Management/Planning or Program Management discipline
- Previous experience of leading MP&L within a life-sciences environment with expert knowledge and understanding of processes and components and of supply chain management
- Must have the following experience:
- Knowledge of cell banks,raw materials, components distribution of goods and manufacturing processes
- Import and export of biologics, bulk drug substances, drug product and associated samples
- Shipping / warehouse operations including various DOT, IATA/ICAO, cold chain Transit regulations and temperature controlled solutions.
- Strong IT systems knowledge including knowledge and understanding of specialist systems. Enterprise resource planning (ERP) modules. Advanced Excel user
- Dealing with logistical partners and external vendors/contractors
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.