The Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Technician will be responsible for the day-to-day management of EHS operations in a laboratory setting. This individual shall partner with Laboratory Management, Facilities, Stakeholders, key vendors, and other supporting function to ensure compliance with Federal, state, and local regulatory requirements and Spark EHS Standards and programs, with a focus on chemical and biological safety and hazardous and infectious waste management. S/he will be responsible for monitoring site activities and ensuring compliance and an overall safe work environment.
Maintain compliance documentation for the site; including inspection records, License to Operate permits and hazardous and infectious waste manifests.
Manage EHS Work Order inventory and site Corrective/Preventative Action (CAPA) tracker, monitor progress towards completion and report out to site teams.
Participate in the site EHS Committee and coordinate and train Spill Response team members; facilitate spill response planning and table top drills.
Daily participant in site huddles or operating mechanisms supporting Technical Development Organization (TDO), Research, and/or other scientific operations, as applicable.
• Provide EHS support to Spark Therapeutics
• Perform site safety review processes (hazard analysis, risk assessments, incident investigations, corrective/preventative action (CAPA) development and tracking/reporting, training, change management, development and reporting of applicable EHS metrics)
• Perform and monitor safety inspection/audit process, ensuring inspections/audits are completed and properly documented, report on status of actions. Ensure audit readiness efforts for EHS compliance aspects
• Provide routine inspections and follow-up of Work Order systems to ensure compliance in conjunction with Facilities, Engineering and Stakeholders
• Track safety action items to ensure timely completion and that priority safety items remain on track for completion
• Develop and deliver EHS training programs to end users as required
• Support safety and environmental regulatory reporting (data collection and management)
• Provide guidance to site personnel on Environmental and Safety risk as appropriate
• Ensure correct waste handling and labeling, characterization and consolidation, disposal, and documentation on a day-to-day basis
• Partner with certified third parties for the management and disposal of waste
• Act as EHS emergency responder for small and moderate scale spills in the laboratory setting
• Draft and revise Standard Operating Procedures, including approvals as author/editor in the Spark document management system
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Requirements
• EHS Professional with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience
• BA/BS degree in Environmental Science required
• Experience in Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology, Research and Development, or Medical Device GXP environment preferred
• DOT/IOTA Training preferred
• RCRA Hazard Waste training preferred
• 40-hour Hazardous Waste Training (HAZWOPER) preferred
• Professional Certification desirable
• Experience in safety audits / inspections/ incident classification, investigation methodologies, and root cause analysis
• Able to develop and conduct training for a variety of levels within the organization
• Experience with risk concepts, including classification from consequences and frequency, risk-based decision making, and mitigation
• Experience with PA DEP and EPA regulatory agencies or knowledge of regulations and requirements
• Proficiency with internal customer management and support
• Ability to read, understand and develop written procedures and instructions
• Able to successfully build effective working relationships with customers such as Engineering, Manufacturing and Laboratory functions
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
• Must be physically able to stand for extended periods of time (3-4 hours). Must be able to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and perform other physical duties as required
• Must be capable of lifting or moving up to 50 pounds
• Must have visual acuity.
Complexity and Problem Solving
• Works on problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of various factors. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Ensures schedules and performance requirements are met.
• Builds productive relationships internally and externally.
• Frequent contacts with peers and vendors concerning projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements, or contractual clarifications. Conducts briefings, trainings and technical meetings for internal and external representatives, as needed.
• Develops work instructions, policies, procedures, and associated trainings for staff use.
Internal and External Contacts
• Frequent internal and external contacts (vendors).
• EHS Regulatory Agencies.
• Local Building and Fire Officials.
• Spark partners and contractors.
Other Job Requirements
• Minimal travel requirements (
• Requirement to work some weekends, holidays, and off hours, depending on project schedules
• Job responsibilities must be conducted onsite. Limited opportunity to work remotely.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.Learn more about Spark Therapeutics and view other openings.