Job Category: Full-time /Exempt
Reports To: Deputy Editor, Blood Cancer Discovery
Location: Philadelphia, Boston, or Washington DC
The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), with more than 50,000 members residing in 129 countries and territories, is the first and largest organization in the world dedicated to advances in all areas of high-quality, innovative cancer research. Its mission is to prevent and cure all cancers. The programs and activities of the AACR foster the exchange of new knowledge among scientists and physicians in the cancer field as well as in related biomedical sciences. AACR publishes ten peer-reviewed scientific journals and an award-winning magazine for cancer patients and their loved ones; convenes topical scientific conferences and an annual meeting that draws more than 22,500 participants; offers educational workshops that train young investigators in a variety of scientific and clinical areas; funds fellowships, career development awards, and research grants for both senior and junior investigators; raises public awareness of the progress in and reasons for hope in the biology, detection, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer; engages actively in advocacy for increased federal research funding and other national policies that accelerate progress against cancer; and interacts with regulatory agencies to support regulatory science and policy.
Blood Cancer Discovery publishes high-quality research, reviews, and views of broadest interest in the field of hematologic malignancies. Launched in 2020, Blood Cancer Discovery is grounded in the same principles that led to the success of Cancer Discover, one of the AACR’s prestigious oncology journals (current impact factor, of 39.4): rigorous selection of research of the highest quality and significance, fast and fair editorial processes, and active promotion of published content.
The Scientific Editor, Blood Cancer Discovery, will handle manuscript submissions throughout the review process and publication as part of the in-house team of editorial, publishing, and marketing professionals. This role entails evaluating manuscript submissions for quality and impact, in close collaboration with academic Editors-in-Chief and editorial board members. This individual will also commission reviews and other content, write and edit for the journal, and promote the journal through outreach and networking efforts. As a key member of the publications group, the Editor will have a highly visible role both within the Associate and in the larger cancer research community.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the peer-review process and ensure high-quality and timely handling of submissions.
- Communicate with authors, editors, reviewers, and readers regarding all aspects of the journal.
- Assist the Deputy Editor with development, composition, and editing of content.
- Stay abreast of the field and develop excellent relationships with the research community.
- Collaborate with the Editors-in-Chief and in-house editorial team to identify and attract exceptional content in the field of hematooncology.
- Represent the journal and the AACR at scientific meetings and institutional visits.
- PhD in the biomedical or clinical sciences
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Expertise in hematology, hematooncology, or cancer science.
- Publication record in hematopoiesis or cancer research.
- Experience in evaluating manuscripts during the peer-review process or as an editorial board member for cancer or cancer-related biomedical journals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Independent, self-motivated, consistently demonstrating initiative and commitment.
- Must be able to travel to relevant scientific meetings and research institutions.
- Title and salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
This position offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. If you are interested in being considered for this position, please send a cover letter explaining why you are interested, along with your current curriculum vitae to https://careers-aacr.icims.com/jobs/1400/scientific-editor%2c-blood-cancer-discovery/job . Please note that you must be authorized to work in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer