Bioprocess Postdoctoral Fellow (Analytical Chemist) - 95879
Division: BE-Biological Systems & Eng
Berkeley Lab’s Biological Systems & Engineering Division (BSE) is looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow to join their Advanced Biofuels and Bioproducts Process Development Unit (ABPDU)!
In this exciting role, you will focus on developing analytical technologies related to biomass characterization and bioprocess, specifically on municipal solid waste or agricultural waste characterization and conversion. You will perform research activities including scheduling and managing projects, experimental design, and the execution of relevant projects in analytical and bioprocessing. Essential to success is command of a broad spectrum of analytical technologies to advanced biofuel and biochemical production.
What You Will Do:
• Design and conduct experiments, collect and analyze data, and maintain detailed experiment records (notebook, batch records).
• Prepare and deliver data-oriented reports, manuscripts, and participate in proposal preparation, patent applications, and internal/external presentations.
• Communicate with supervisors to plan and execute analytical or bioprocessing related projects for internal/external collaborators.
• Act as a project lead for assigned projects including feedstock characterization, hydrolysis, fermentation, and product analysis.
• Work collaboratively in a fast-paced lab environment on multiple projects supported across industry, academia, and National Labs.
• Develop and perform in-house quality control testing and root cause failure analysis.
• Demonstrate a good record of publications in peer-reviewed journals with the intent to contribute to more scientific ideas and publications.
What is Required:
• PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.
• Understanding of lignocellulosic biomass characterization and bioprocessing (pretreatment, hydrolysis, and fermentation).
• Familiarity with analytical instruments including but are not limited to HPLC, GC, and 96-well plate-based assays.
• Experience with statistical design of experiments and data analysis software.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary laboratory environment.
• Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to maintain detailed and accurate records, present data, and publish results.
What We Prefer:
• Experience with XRD, SEM, or AFM.
• Experience analyzing and interpreting -omics data with strong quantitative/computational skills.
• Familiarity with microbial characterization techniques.
For full consideration, please apply by June 17, 2022 with the following application materials:
• Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
• This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes with predetermined postdoctoral step rates dependent on years of experience post-degree.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be performed onsite at the Emery Station Operations Center — 5885 Hollis Street Emeryville, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=230511 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The Biological Systems & Engineering Division’s vision is to lead efforts that combine the power of biology with the tools of engineering to develop sustainable energy and manufacturing solutions to improve human health.
Berkeley Lab’s Postdoc Program is committed to providing Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting scholars with a positive and impactful experience to jump-start their career through premium research and career development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and a strong community. For more information, please visit our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Resources site and our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Association site.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (https://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.