Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.ROLE SUMMARY
Pfizer Boulder Research and Development is a stimulating, engaging, multi-disciplinary research organization focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule drugs to treat cancer patients.
The Structural Biology group is looking to identify a highly skilled Protein Crystallographer/Structural Biologist to join the team. Your primary responsibilities include solving ligand-bound protein structures, delivering structural results to project teams, and actively and cooperatively participating in the gene-to-structure process. You will leverage your proven track record in solving and interpreting ligand bound protein crystal structures. You will develop over time initially from the bench into a blended role covering both hands-on research and management responsibilities.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Utilize multiple crystallization formats to grow and optimize diffraction-quality ligand-bound protein co-crystals.
- Collect and process datasets using both in-house X-ray generators and remoted data collection on synchrotrons with optimized collection strategies.
- Solve and refine structures either by Molecular Replacement or experimental phasing.
- Conduct structural analysis and interpretation and support structure-based compound design by working closely with medicinal and computation chemists, and providing regular updates to cross-functional project teams.
- As a subject-matter expert, will lead from the bench to assist Structural Biology colleagues with challenging protein targets throughout the gene-to-structure process, including construct design, protein purification, assessment, crystallization, and structure solving.
- PhD in Structural Biology or a related field with a minimum of 5 years of postdoctoral or industry protein crystallography experience
- Proven track record of achievement and publications in reputable, peer-reviewed journals
- Extensive experience in protein X-ray crystallography from protein sample assessment, crystallization, optimization, data collection and processing, to structure determination
- Demonstrated competency in protein expression and purification strategies using bacterial, insect, and/or mammalian hosts.
- Experience with software for model building and refinement such as Phenix, Autoproc, CCP4, Chimera, Rosetta, Coot
- Experience with crystallization robot and standard analytical techniques associated with assessing protein quality during the purification process.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience mentoring junior level colleagues
- Experience using integrated biophysical and structural biology experiments to assess sample quality and understand interactions between small molecules and macromolecular target
- Experience with Linux OS and GPU-accelerated computational environment
- Experience with cryo-EM sample preparation protocols and data collection/processing
Primary interaction of this position will be with Boulder colleagues within the Structural Biology group, and colleagues in Enzymology, Medicinal Chemistry and computational Chemistry groups, and with structural biology colleagues at Groton and La Jolla. Occasional interaction with external service vendors is also expected. PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Able to lift 50lb objects with dimensions 12 inches in height and 26 inches in width
Able to visualize microscopic objects under microscopes NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Able to adhere to safe work practices and perform lab works with appropriate personal protection equipment such as but not limited to safety goggles, facial mask, gloves, lab coat/ protective gowning, and closed toe shoes
Able to work at flexible hours occasionally when performing time-sensitive experiments OTHER JOB DETAILS
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus For roles based in Colorado:
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $93,200.00 to $155,400.00
. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus with a target of 15%
of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. Benefits offered include a retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans. Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development