The individual will join a team of scientists and engineers focused on developing and optimizing mammalian cell culture processes and/or invitro transcription (IVT) processes for production of recombinant proteins and biologics for early-phase and late-phase clinical trials. The individual will be primarily responsible for employing systems biology approaches along with mathematical modeling towards enhancing process understanding/knowledge for reducing process development timelines, and help addressing issues surrounding productivity and product quality attributes across a wide array of product modalities. The individual will also be involved in developing robust, scalable, highly productive processes, and accurate technology transfer of the processes to pilot scale, clinical, and commercial production facilities for successful large-scale manufacturing. The job function requires sound scientific judgment and innovation using advanced practices and procedures to achieve solutions. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for successful development, characterization and execution of state-of-the-art manufacturing cell culture and IVT processes producing biologics - applies scientific and technical experience to establish strategies, drive safe and high-quality lab technical work to deliver well-controlled and characterized manufacturing processes. Provides creative and pragmatic technical and operational problem-solving options.
- Designs and conducts bioreactor and shake-flask experiments to perform transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, and other omics analysis.
- Employs functional analyses to evaluate omics information to develop and test new hypotheses to enhance the fundamental understanding and performance of cell culture medium and processes.
- Builds mathematical models for key physiological functions and integrates relevant omics information/analyses to fit the models to different cell culture and IVT processes.
- Uses fitted model(s) to perform in silico analysis to probe and understand process parameter effect on cellular physiological functions or biochemical environments relevant to biologic production.
- Ensures effective, high-quality, timely and appropriate documentation in electronic laboratory notebooks and internal technical reports; presents data/ strategy to scientists and management in appropriate internal and external venues (technical meetings, project team meetings, conferences etc.) and publishes in peer-reviewed journals, as appropriate.
- Contributes to safe, efficient, effective and harmonious lab environment through personal responsibility/accountability - ensures appropriate cleanliness and status/operability of shared or assigned lab space or equipment; strong lab citizen and collaborative team player; approaches the job with energy and commitment; demonstrates initiative - identifies what needs to be done and makes it happen.
- Demonstrates leadership and capability to mentor junior colleagues, and fosters a team environment.
- Has the ability to troubleshoot scientific and technical challenges, and contribute to their resolution.
- PhD degree with 0-3 years of experience in biotechnology/biopharma industry or Master's Degree with 7+ years of post-graduate experience with a degree in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biotechnology, Cell Biology, Microbiology
- A strong background in mathematical modeling and chemical/biochemical reaction kinetics is required.
- The candidate should have demonstrated proficiency in compiling and executing scripts in multiple computing environments including, but not limited to, MATLAB, Linux, Rand Perl, etc.
- Has a good understanding of reactions involved in IVT processes and/or energy/glycosylation metabolic pathways in mammalian cells.
- Should be self-motivated, organized, and capable of working independently and in a collaborative environment and should have demonstrated ability to drive projects by coming up with innovative solutions.
- Should possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Should have strong attention to detail and has ability to execute detailed experimental plans, record procedures, analyze data, and present results.
- Has ability to work in a fast paced team environment with changing priorities.
- Has experience in operating lab or micro-scale bioreactor systems and computerized process control equipment.
- Has experience in the development and/or characterization of mammalian cell culture processes and/or IVT processes.
- Has experience in sample preparation and data analysis for one or more areas of omics workflow including, but not limited to, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, etc.
- Has experience with employing functional analysis tools to analyze omics data and should have demonstrated ability to integrate such analyses with mathematical modeling to probe physiological functions such as energy metabolism, glycosylation reaction network, etc.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Position requires occasional light lifting and periods of standing, sitting or walking.
Other Job Detail
- Occasional weekend work required.
- Occasional travel domestically to support technology development and/or clinical manufacturing activities as well as technology transfer to commercial manufacturing.
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Last Date to Apply: May 30, 2022
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
- Eligible for Relocation Package
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development