The Laboratory Director will help direct all aspects of phage therapy science and clinical cases, including phage discovery, characterization, preparation, and exploratory science into the mechanisms of phage action, synergy with antibiotics, directed evolution and resistance, synthetic biology, genome engineering, and immune response. This is part of a larger effort to adapt personalized medicines to diseases where evolution undermines treatment (e.g., antimicrobial resistance). TAILOR Labs is the only end-to-end phage therapy program in the U.S. and seeks to address the most difficult challenges in the infectious disease field with cutting edge research. Projects are high risk, high reward that push and explore new biomedical frontiers. The ideal candidate will have broad knowledge in molecular biology and microbiology and demonstrate creative out-of-the box thinking and willingness to join and work with a large, highly collaborative research team exploring the universe of adaptable therapeutics.Job Duties
- Generate new experimental paradigms; be able to design controlled experiments.
- Assist in the oversight of the discovery and production of phage for compassionate care use after FDA approval.
- Analyze molecular data including computational tools associated with sequence information.
- Develop research techniques and performs applications required for specific research projects.
- May supervise, schedule and coordinate the activities of less experienced research staff.
- Liaison with academic and private collaborators.
- Direct/Manage Laboratory Operations including research personnel, budgets, and orders.
- Be up-to-date with the latest literature; participate in group meetings to discuss findings.
- Help write scientific manuscripts and grants.
- Present one's research results and attend conferences.
- Oversee the mentoring and direction of technicians and graduate students.
- Integrate leadership of a team-like culture.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Five years of relevant experience.
- Significant postdoctoral or management research experience is a plus.
- M.D. or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Genetics, Molecular/Cancer Biology, Bacteriology/Microbiology etc.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.