About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
The Barista I provides exceptional customer service while making hand-crafted, quality beverages. The Barista will take orders and make coffee, tea and other drinks to customer specifications. The individual will also operate cash registers and credit card machines. The Barista fields customer complaints or questions while working to maintain good customer relations and speedy delivery of all beverages. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but City of Hope may identify other responsibilities of the position.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Greets customers, take orders, mixes and serves hot and cold beverages such as coffee, espresso, cappuccino, café latte, tea, chai, fruit blend drinks, etc. while considering customer specifications. May sell food items.
- Works to maintain good customer relations and speedy delivery of all beverages and food items.
- Arranges coffee bar/cart supplies and cups/mugs to make attractive displays and maintains bar/cart area in a neat and sanitary manner.
- Often cleans coffee machines, restaurant areas and preparation areas.
- Records all sales, collects money, operates a cash register and follows all cash-handling procedures as required, including the operation of a cash/credit card/electronic payment register.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training. Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments. Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- May receive inventory and move/lift foodstuffs and supplies. Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures and reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- Starbucks Baristas will be required to be certified.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- This position is part of a collective bargaining agreement
- Part-time Evening shift available
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.