Science Software Developer (IT Specialist)
Chandra X-ray Telescope Data System
Ad Keywords: software, developer, programmer, software engineer, astronomy, astrophysics, NASA, Chandra, CfA
This is an opportunity with the Data Systems division of the Chandra X-ray Center, which is part of the High Energy Astrophysics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, MA. One of NASA’s Great Observatories, the Chandra X-ray telescope has been continues to have a positive impact on the scientific understanding of the universe. We seek 2 software developers to contribute to the continued success of the mission.
Join the Chandra X-ray Center and become part of the team working to support and maintain the science tools and user interfaces of the Data system software development group. Each individual will work with the existing software development team to extend system capabilities in response to operational and scientific requests, design and implement new algorithms and or user interfaces in collaboration with scientists, maintain existing tools through system upgrades and migrations, and support the software system through all phases of the software development cycle.
Specific Duties include:
- Communicating with scientists for software requirements and testing
- Developing and maintaining software through all phases of the software development lifecycle
- Documenting software for CXC operations staff and scientific users worldwide
- Analyzing and resolving problems in support of science operations and user input
- Working as part of a team
Knowledge required for the position includes:
- Experience working on Linux and MacOS
- Ability to utilize modern programming practices and standards
- Sufficient mathematical exposure to effectively converse with scientists/engineers regarding the nature of complex algorithms and involved computations
- Familiarity/exposure to User Interface Design or User Experience
- Knowledge and ability to utilize software development tools such as version control and IDE’s
We offer a challenging working environment in partnership with scientists, data systems operations teams, and an existing software development team, to bring Chandra data products and science analysis tools to the astronomical community at large.
We will only accept applications online for this position. For complete information and online application procedures, please visit https://www.usajobs.gov/job/650235300