The Senior Scientist will be responsible for:
Job Function and Description
- Driving forwards one or more translational programs in the area of gene therapy for neurological conditions including chronic neuropathic pain.
- Design, construction, evaluation, and optimization of AAV gene therapy vectors to express therapeutic transgenes in PNS and/or CNS tissues.
- Design of in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo experiments.
- Execution of experiments either individually or through teamwork (in-house or outsourced).
- Data analysis and visualization.
- Meticulous recording of experiments using an electronic laboratory notebook.
- Leading the implementation of advanced techniques and innovative concepts as an authority in a relevant field both internally and externally.
- Initiating and overseeing joint programs with internal and external collaborators.
Design in vitro
and in vivo
experiments. Execute experiments on the bench either independently or through teamwork (in-house or outsourced).
Recording, analyzing and visualizing data; writing study reports; presenting results.
Literature review; Identify potential indication targets; co-develop plans for evaluating targets.
Participate in group meetings and scientific discussions, and provide support to other staff, as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- A PhD in a relevant scientific discipline and 3+ years of relevant post-PhD experience or a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with significant related experience of 8+ years. Individual experience may vary based on skillset and expertise.
- Essential: Evidence of responsibility for execution of one or more scientific programs.
- Essential: Evidence of greater than 3 years of experience with mammalian models of neuropathic pain (e.g., design, surgery, behavioral testing, immunofluorescent histological staining, confocal microscopy, analysis).
- Preferred: Evidence of greater than 2 years of experience with cell biology methods (e.g., neural cell culture, transfection/transduction, immunocytochemical staining, analysis).
- Preferred: Evidence of greater than 2 years of experience with molecular biology methods (e.g., AAV plasmid design, cloning, evaluation of gene expression).
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Expertise in designing, implementing, and troubleshooting in vivo and in vitro experiments related to evaluation of potential therapies for pain.
- Expert ability to analyze problems critically and to develop potential solutions.
- Expert technical lab skills.
- Expert skills in synthesizing research findings and effectively communicating findings and recommendations to management.
- Ability to develop research programs that align with the goals of the company as defined by senior management, in consultation with the Preclinical Research Team leaders and Head of CNS Research.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with other people (for example, with other team members, core facilities, external collaborators, vendors or CROs).
Internal and External Contacts
- Actively participates in planning projects, will schedule, and will arrange own activities in accomplishing objectives.
- Is considered an expert in a field within and external to the organization.
- Develops solutions to complex problems which require the use of ingenuity, innovation and/or collaboration with others.
- Exercises latitude in determining approaches to assignments.
- Will perform assignments with a high technical difficulty under minimal supervision; may provide direction and training to others.
- Will report to one Preclinical Team Leader in neuroscience.
- Primary role is as an individual contributor.
- Will work with one or more team members on a day-to-day basis.
- Will provide coaching and guidance to other team members (e.g., on technical issues).
- Will co-design, execute and analyze experiments in partnership with other stakeholders.
- Will liaise with other teams within CNS and across Spark (e.g., In vivo teams, vector manufacture, histology, NGS, data analytics, statistics, medical writing).
- Will act as a prime contract on contracts or projects with external partners.
- Will serve as a consultant to management on major matters pertaining to research and plans.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.