The Incumbent will be an integral member of Spark’s histopathology team and support multiple gene therapy programs, from ocular and liver diseases to neurodegenerative disorders.
The primary role will be to collaborate with members of the research teams to acquire, curate and analyze experimental data, primarily consisting of digital histopathology images. An ideal candidate would be excited to play a role in shaping our fast-growing environment and in the development of our imaging infrastructure. Candidates with experience in newer histopathological techniques, such as lightsheet microscopy and spatial transcriptomics, are encouraged to apply.
- Image acquisition and communication of data to support various projects
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Test protocols and in-house tools to support analyses of datasets
- Support automation and lab workflow systems for instrumentation and hardware
- Generate technical reports and presentations
- Trainings, lab meetings and administrative work
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- B.A./B.S. in a relevant field with 3-5 years of experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Must have 1-3 years of experience in biological image analysis, particularly in automation of image acquisition and batch processing of microscopy data
- Familiarity with commercial imaging applications (i.e., HALO from Indica Labs) as well as freely available software (i.e. FIJI/Image J).
- Preferred experience in spatial transcriptomics and/or lightsheet microscopy
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills, including preparing written reports and oral presentations, as well as transparent work practices
Complexity and Problem Solving:
- Strong technical skills used in histopathology labs
- Skilled in common image analysis applications, algorithms and modules
- Comfortable with conversing with data scientists on topics like machine learning
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Motivated, organized and enjoys working across functions and teams
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot experiments.
- Strong motivation to support and train colleagues on how to develop and perform basic image acquisition and analysis protocols in a reproducible, unbiased manner
- Demonstrate independent problem-solving skills of technical issues; develop solutions to a variety of simple to moderately complex problems and effectively collaborate for addressing difficult issues.
- Comfortable with working in both a vertical (management) as well as horizontal (colleagues across functional areas) manner to accomplish tasks and receive guidance.
- Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, biotech start-up environment and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams at Spark.
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.