The NGS Scientist will utilize next-generation sequencing technologies, prepare NGS libraries and perform high throughput sequencing in the NGS core to support Spark Therapeutics pre-clinical pipeline and platforms. Primary duties include:
Job Function and Description
- Work closely with the research groups to identify unmet needs and opportunities to utilize NGS technologies to facilitate research projects, such as recombinant AAV vector quality control, vector optimization and screening using DNA barcoding, omics profiling through genome sequencing, transcriptome sequencing and epigenetic sequencing.
- Collaborate with end users to design experiments, prepare libraries and conduct high throughput sequencing to support various research projects and advance departmental goals
- Develop, optimize and validate NGS library preparation and sequencing methodologies based on specific needs and ad hoc requests from research groups.
- Establish quality control metrics, implement quality control measures for NGS workflows in the core. Troubleshoot and ensure accuracy and precision of data generated in the NGS core.
- Interface cross-functionally with other teams in the company such as the Technology Automation team and the Data Science team to automate library preparation protocols and ensure smooth data flow to improve operational efficiency and robustness of the NGS core.
-Routine NGS operations from sample receiving, nucleic acid extraction, library construction, data generation and quality control to ensure high level of quality and reliability of generated results. Maintain laboratory equipment.
-Develop new protocols and optimize existing protocols to meet clients’ ad hoc needs. Improve operational efficiency of the core through automation and innovation. Troubleshoot sequencing experiments as needed.
-Research literatures. Author SOPs and reports. Contribute to interpretation of the data as needed.
-Provide support to the Research Teams, engage in cross-functional communications with different departments.
Education and Experience Requirements
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- PhD in a relevant scientific discipline such as biological sciences, biochemistry, or analytical chemistry. Or Master or bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline with 3 years or more of related experience within an established laboratory.
- Solid molecular biology background and deep understanding of underlying principles for molecular biology procedures.
- Proficient in general molecular biology techniques, such as nucleic acid extraction, molecular cloning, PCR, and next generation sequencing (NGS).
- Experience in NGS library preparation such as WGS, targeted DNA sequencing, RNA-Seq, ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq, etc.
- Single-cell sequencing experience preferred.
- Direct experience with Illumina sequencing platform and familiarity with additional platforms (Oxford Nanopore, PacBio) preferred.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, goal-driven.
- Critical thinking skills and continuous improvement mindset
- Ability to manage timelines and quality of work using strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Work successfully in a cross-functional project team
- Proactive and collaborative mindset
Internal and External Contacts
- Design and perform highly complex assays to support departmental objectives
- Develop solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation.
- Ensures solutions are consistent with organization objectives
The incumbent will collaborate with therapeutic area leads/scientists, data science, and other stakeholders involved in experiment design, implementation, and data analysis.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.