The Ocular Research group of Spark Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to develop novel gene therapies for ocular diseases. The successful candidate will play a major role in helping design the best possible vector elements for gene transfer to the retina. He/she will help building DNA constructs, test plasmid and vector functionality, quantify gene expression and tissue specificity in efforts to develop lead candidates.
Under the guidance of Ocular scientists, design and execute DNA cloning strategies to construct novel gene cassettes to achieve optimal expression in the target tissue and/or specific cell type.
In collaboration with Ocular scientists, test engineered AAV vectors in animal models to quantify gene expression levels, tissue specificity, and/or function using a variety of routine assays (eg. DNA/RNA extraction, ELISA, qPCR, western blot, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, etc.)
Participate in sample management activities such as receiving, processing, storage and shipping preclinical samples.
Accurately document assay results and analyze data using an electronic lab notebook, technical documents, and other reporting formats.
Contribute to a collaborative, creative and rigorous culture of scientific discovery
Plan, prepare and perform experiments on the bench to support the Ocular Platform research projects. Assist technical staff in the performance of laboratory experiments as needed.
Analyze results, prepare technical reports, and accurately document work in an electronic lab notebook. Prepare Powerpoint presentations of results as needed. Communicate results and research progress during team meetings as needed.
Participate in group meetings, scientific discussions, and provide support to more junior staff, as needed.
- BA/BA in Biological sciences required, Master’s in a relevant field preferred.
- 3-5 years of laboratory experience.
- Broad knowledge of basic laboratory techniques and equipment.
- Proven hands-on experience with cell culture and biological assays, such as but not limited to cell-based assays, ELISA, and Western analysis. Experience with WES/Jess technology is a plus.
- Proven hands-on experience with standard molecular biology techniques, including nucleic acid isolation, PCR, qPCR, DNA cloning.
- Experience with immunohistochemistry/FISH experience is a plus.
- Experience with AAV vectors is a plus.
- Experience with animal handling is a plus.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.