In partnership with the Vice President for Viral Vaccines, the role will set strategy for viral vaccine programs based on extensive industry and basic scientific experience, expertise in virology, immunology, vaccinology, high containment research, and viral pathogenesis. The incumbent is expected to lead a research team, communicate with external stakeholders and collaborators to advance our programs, and establish external visibility and leadership. Requirements for this role include expertise in virology (including SARS-CoV-2), synthetic biology, immunology, working knowledge of RNA-based vaccines and established industry experience in vaccine research and development. Must have experience in viral vaccine research and development, working knowledge of vaccine trials, and regulatory affairs.Experience with formulation science and manufacturing is a plus.
The candidate needs to provide leadership, scientific and technical support for a diversified research staff.The role also requires experience and established track record in working with multifunctional teams outside of a reporting structure, presenting research and strategy as well as report writing, responding to regulatory questions, and publishing research findings. The incumbent will require global scientific alliance management with external parties to oversee the scientific aspects of a pandemic vaccine transitioning into a post pandemic period.
Experience in providing scientific leadership for a BSL3 virology laboratory, institutional leadership, a global scientific reputation, a history of developing licensed vaccines and a track record of strong interactions with NIH and other US government research institutions highly desirable. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- With the VP Viral Vaccines, the incumbent will provide strategic leadership for one or more vaccine programs.
- Leads a motivated, committed and engaged project team. Models and expects effective team behavior to achieve the project goals. Leads direct reports and non-reports, reviewing all experimental designs and data.
- Establish relationships with and serve as a primary scientific liaison with external alliance partners, including collaborating companies, government agencies and non-governmental organizations
- Ensures that intellectual property is appropriately obtained and safeguarded.
- Represent Research on the cross-functional Vaccine Program Team as Research Lead, operating at the interface between research and development, coordinating with non-research functions including life cycle management.
- Take a key role in communication about vaccine programs in internal Pfizer documents and external patent applications, regulatory submissions, scientific papers, and other communications.
- Participate in the management of the Viral Vaccines group, including the supervision of junior colleagues, the group budget, laboratories, and compliance.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong knowledge of virology, vaccinology, immunology, viral pathogenesis, high containment research and 10 + years of experience in the field.
- Able to effectively direct a laboratory-based, industrial vaccine discovery and development program.
- Proven track record of project advancement and delivery in vaccines
- Practical experience with SARS-CoV-2 surveillance, viral serology, RNA vaccine technologies, BSL3 laboratory work, and synthetic virology
- Global scientific reputation as evidenced by publication record and interaction with NIH or other established government research agencies.
- Understanding of the business aspects of vaccines, and viral vaccine scientific, clinical and competitive landscape
- Demonstrated innovation and the ability to apply knowledge, techniques and skills to identify and validate best new technologies.
- Experience of providing scientific leadership for projects in the pharmaceutical industry.
- MD or a PhD in virology or a related field.
- 10 + years industry experience in pre-clinical research and in vaccine technical development with working knowledge of both scientific and non-scientific aspects.
- Regular interactions with:
- VP of Viral Vaccines
- Vaccines Research and Development scientists
- Cross-Functional Program Team members
- VRD management
- External collaborating institutions, including the governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Direct familiarity with organizations and leaders of global virology surveillance systems.
- Assist in managing the program budget and interacting with the Commercial organization to assess potential future economic value and probability of success of vaccine candidates.
Other Job Details:
- May directly manage up to 5-10 colleagues.
- Indirectly manage a much larger and evolving cross-functional team to advance and manage the scientific aspects of the development and life cycle management of a viral vaccine candidate and vaccine.
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development