About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
The Benefits department oversees a wide range of health, welfare and wellness programs for eligible City ofHope Medical Center, Medical Group, Trainee and Affiliates, and other entity affiliations. The Managerprovides leadership, policy interpretation and training to Benefits staff who administer benefits whilemanaging the day-to-day planning, administration and complex and/or escalated issues as they arise.
Additionally, the Manager ensures plan and regulatory compliance and leads the annual open enrollmentperiod, benefit fair events and other special projects.
Partners with Director, Benefits and Wellness Services, Total Rewards leaders, vendors and consultants in the
annual review, recommendation and implementation of employee health, welfare, and retirement programs,
while maintaining alignment with the organization's growth and long-term goals. Provides expert counsel and
guidance to senior management on programs that are competitive in the industry and frequently benchmarks
best practices.Key Responsibilities include:Benefits Program Planning:
Benefit Program Operations:
- Assists in establishing priorities for the development, design,implementation and administration of the employee benefit programs.
- Stays abreast of regulatory laws, collects benchmark data and best practices to inform and supportstrategies that ensure a relevant and compliant employee benefit program.
- Establish working relationships, leverage resources, and collaborate with external and internalstakeholders, employees, managers, and others necessary to efficiently deliver and promote our benefitprograms.
- Explains benefit and retirement plans, costs, eligibility and procedures to employees and potentialcandidates in group and individual orientations, webinars and meetings.
- Collects, compiles, and reports results of enrollment, participant data, compliance and audits. Meet asneeded to analyze and assess opportunities, trends and outcomes.
- Develops and coordinates training and engagement activities for Benefits staff.
Oversees health, welfare and leave of absence day-to-dayadministration and associated customer service-related issues.
Assists in developing and reviews all benefit program communications to promote benefitofferings (e-mails, flyers and brochures), and ensures they are aligned with health and welfarebenefit program provisions; builds awareness and excitement of available programs.
Held accountable for timely implementation, communication, and on-going support of assignedprojects and programs. Effectively and efficiently manage multiple projects as needed andstreamline where possible.
Supervises data validation, integrity and exception reporting. Assists the payroll and HRISteams with processing all benefit carrier-related interfaces.
Maintains an effective electronic records management process that includes monitoring recordretention compliance, organizing and filing benefit documentation, vendor agreements, auditreports and employee files.
Responsible for managing time appropriately so that daily, weekly, and monthly duties arecompleted with demonstrated flexibility to handle shifting priorities.Support & Vendor Management:
Meets with benefits staff, internal stakeholders, legal counseland vendors regularly to review and discuss plan administration, opportunities and escalatedissues.
Oversees vendor administration, compliance and service levels and updates offerings on HR andbenefits intranet site and various communication channels as appropriate.
Manages relationships with vendors to ensure they adhere to established plans, deliver targetedfinancial results, meet agreed upon service levels. Manage program tools, forms and systemsand provide feedback and recommendations.
Assists in evaluating new vendors and programs to optimize program and service offerings asneeded.Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management, Accounting,Business, or a related field - plus 5 years of experience in employee health,welfare and retirement plan operations with coordination of annual openenrollment and new or enhanced program implementations
Preferred Certification/Licensure:Preferred education experience and skills:
- 8 years of experience in employee health, welfare and retirement planoperations with coordination of annual open enrollment and new orenhanced program implementations
- 5+ automated benefits systems, shared services in a health care setting,health, welfare, leave of absence and retirement plan administration
- 1-2 years specific to executive, physician and/or Medical Group benefits administration.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.