Science has an exciting opportunity for an Associate News Editor to join its news team. Reporting to the Online News Editor, the Associate Editor will edit news stories for the Science website and magazine.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What you’ll do
- Work with Online News Editor to assign and edit news stories about research for Science’s news site
- Provide backup/vacation coverage in the Online News Editor’s absence
- Oversee online site, plan coverage, and enlist editing help from other editors
- Provide backup/vacation coverage in the In Brief Editor’s absence
- Produce the weekly section by assigning and editing 8-14 short (150 word) news stories that give readers a quick overview of the week’s events, including graphic stories and extended picture captions
- Work with photo editors and designers to package items into a well-structured and well-illustrated News in Brief section
- Edit longer stories for print magazine as requested by News Editor and Managing News Editor
- Help select and manage interns and recruit new writers
- Five years’ experience in journalism, including three years in science journalism and two years as an editor
- Ability to edit for accuracy, fairness, and clarity on quick-turnaround deadlines, as well as develop, nurture, and manage long-term projects
- Familiarity with science, science policy, and science workforce issues
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- A keen sense of news
If you cannot check off every qualification listed, we still encourage you to apply and describe how your experience and training make you a strong candidate for the job.
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by June 5, 2022. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
DC Metro Area is strongly preferred for this position, but remote workers may be considered in select states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at email@example.com with any questions regarding your eligibility.
The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is between $85,000 and $95,000 per year. AAAS currently provides the following benefits for this position: paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance, each subject to the terms of the applicable program. Additional benefits may apply.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.