The University of Luxembourg, which currently ranks 17th among the worldwide best universities under 50 years on the Times Higher Education (THE) list, is a public university with a strong focus on research and a very international faculty.
With far more than 300 researchers, it is a major and ambitious player in Computer Science, laying the foundations for futuristic computational systems and supporting the digitization of science and society in the 21st century.
The Department of Computer Science (DCS) is one of the main pillars of research excellence at UL. DCS promotes interdisciplinary research and closely cooperates with other high-profile research centres in Luxembourg and beyond, as well as with industry and society. The faculty entertains various successful and growing teaching programs and supports lifelong learning activities. It strongly profits from Luxembourg's involvement in the EU High Performance Computing initiative.
Luxembourg is a cosmopolitan country, the green heart of Europe combining the convenience of a metropolis with a human touch (www.euraxess.lu). There are International/European schools and international tracks in local schools, as well as an excellent child-care system, making it quite possible to reconcile an active academic activity with a happy family life. The main part of the University is situated in Esch-Belval, a new and modern campus in a highly original environment with excellent public transport connections.
To strengthen and diversify the existing skills and expertise in the Department of Computer Science, the candidate is expected to perform excellent research in Computer Science and to set up a research group in their field of expertise. The candidate will actively seek cooperation with researchers from within the department, but also with researchers from other departments, faculties, and centres, or external Luxembourgish research institutions. Interdisciplinary research will allow the candidate to achieve practical impact. In this way, the candidate will foster and take a leading role in driving research in the area of Machine Learning at the University of Luxembourg.
(S)he will contribute to the teaching missions of the department at various levels (Bachelor, Master, PhD). In particular, the candidate will offer Machine Learning courses at these levels. The successful candidate will be expected to advise PhD candidates and contribute to doctoral and postdoctoral training (e.g., organization of research seminars, reading groups, winter and summer schools, etc.).
The position at the Assistant Professor level follows Luxembourg’s tenure-track scheme according to which the initial appointment is a fixed-term contract. In case of an excellent more senior candidate, appointment at the level of Associate Professor with a permanent contract is possible. Academic salaries are very competitive and among the highest in Europe.
The initial package includes a PhD position, as well as a PostDoc position allocated for a limited period of time. The Luxembourgish research funding agency FNR offers a broad range of further funding opportunities through projects and special excellence programs (ATTRACT/PEARL).
What we expect from you…
The Faculty of Science, Technology, and Medicine (FSTM) is seeking to hire a candidate with an excellent international track record, a strong background in Machine Learning research, and who is open to interdisciplinary collaborations with both academia and industry. We will consider applicants with a specialization in the theoretical foundations of Machine Learning, as well as applicants with a more applied profile. Non-exclusive possible areas of interest are Bayesian and statistical-relational learning, learning probabilistic and causal graphical models, learning other types of structured/logical knowledge, explainable learning, deep learning, unsupervised learning, big data applications (scalability, distributed and parallel execution of learning techniques), applications for natural-language processing, autonomous systems, space research, industry 4.0. The selected candidate will have a successful experience in teaching of related aspects of computer science and should be willing to contribute to the teaching missions of the department, as well as to administrative tasks.
We offer an international team at a young and dynamic university, an interdisciplinary research environment, and a wide network of academic, institutional, and corporate partners.
Special consideration will be given to female candidates to address the gender balance within the department.
Qualifications, experience, aptitude
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Informatics, or related areas, with a strong background in Machine Learning
- A strong track record in research
- Experience in teaching at the undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate level
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Good organizational and management skills
- Experience in acquiring and managing research projects
- The University of Luxembourg is set in a multilingual and multicultural context. The person hired on this position must be proficient in English and must be willing to learn French or German. The University encourages its staff to learn the other language and provides access to language courses to this end
- Fixed-term contract (Assistant Professor) of 5 years, with perspective of a permanent position and promotion to Associate Professor upon a positive evaluation. In case of an excellent more senior candidate, a direct appointment at the level of Associate Professor with a permanent contract may be considered
- Earliest starting date: September 2022
- Work Hours: Full time 40 hours / week
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04916 / F1-50011608 (to be mentioned in all correspondence)
How to apply...
Applications should contain (PDF format in English, mentioning the job opening reference):
- A motivation letter
- A 1-page research statement
- A 1-page teaching statement
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Full list of publications
- The names of four referees who can, upon request, send a reference letter on the applicant
We ensure a full consideration for applications received by June 30th, 2022, to: FSTM_recruitment_DCS@uni.lu
All applications will be handled in strict confidence.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Luxembourg strives to increase the share of female professors. Therefore, we explicitly encourage women to apply.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
Prof. Dr. Pascal BOUVRY / Head of the Department of Computer Science / DCS_Head@uni.lu