The incumbent will be responsible for conceptualizing, implementing and overseeing the development of novel viral vaccines. Candidate vaccines will be subjected to comprehensive preclinical analysis, including animal model testing, for which the incumbent will provide oversight. Other key functions include providing guidance and management for the Department's research scientists and technical staff; identifying and exploring new technologies that may be applied to the design and delivery of novel viral vaccines. Further, as an integral member of this dynamic vaccine group, the incumbent must have a strong positive work ethic and be highly collaborative with other Departmental teams. The incumbent is expected to supervise junior level scientists and to collaborate with the other team members, as well as with contributors in other departments (Development, Regulatory Affairs, and Clinical) and outside the company.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- The incumbent will take an active role in the CMV vaccine or other viral programs. Responsible for conceptualizing, conducting and implementing the development of novel vaccine candidates. Apply expertise in molecular biology and virology to develop vaccine candidates.
- Lead the latest scientific advancements in the field as a thought leader and spokesperson for Pfizer research.
- Investigate novel approaches that maximize antigen expression and immunogenicity while retaining desirable safety profiles. Oversee preclinical testing in vitro and in animal models.
- Develop, optimize and conduct immunological assays. Responsible for acquisition of critical reagents required for these assays. Interact with various Vaccine Research & Development (VRD) groups involved with assay development, formulation, and vaccine production, and take responsibility for the transfer of protocols and technology to these groups.
- Sustain productive interaction and collaboration both with external research collaborators and internally between Research and Development groups to ensure efficient vaccine candidates scale-up and manufacture in preparation for their evaluation in clinical trials.
- The incumbent will participate with senior management to develop long-term program goals and strategies for achieving those goals. The incumbent is responsible for planning own and team's daily workflow to complete the tasks/experiments outlined by the supervisor, project leaders and management.
- The incumbent will prepare detailed study plans and communicate progress report verbally and in writing regularly and finally write technical reports once the work is completed.
- Supervise the efforts of junior personnel, which includes setting goals, training and mentoring, determining priorities, and evaluating performance. Efforts may include training and mentoring of team members or colleagues who are not direct reports.
- Assist in the progress of the overall project team(s) through such activities as regularly updating the project team and managers of progress, planning preclinical animal studies, learning new procedures, and performing scientific literature reviews.
- Present experimental results at group meetings, project meetings and department meetings. Preparation of reports, presentations, patent applications and peer-reviewed publications
- Contribute to a culture that embraces continuous learning, development, and collaboration.
- Incumbent will manage (direct, indirect, matrix, contingent) approximately 5 colleagues
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact .BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. and 9+ years post-graduate experience, including postdoctoral fellowship.
- Strong background in virology and immunology is essential.
- Good verbal and written communication skills are required.
Biopharmaceutical or biotech experience preferred.NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Travel for conferences and to meet with collaborators may be required on occasion. OTHER JOB DETAILS
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development