About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
This position provides executive-level strategic support, advice, thought partnership and consultation to the President of Strategy and Business Ventures. The person selected for this role is responsible for cross-functional organization, partnership, and overall budgetary management of all business units reporting to the executive, to include the COH Medical Foundation, Marketing/Communications, Research Business Development, Government Affairs, Business Development, Managed Care, AccessHope, and the Center for International Medicine,
The position performs necessary strategic analysis to define and frame complex enterprise-wide business issues and recommends/develops proposed solutions/recommendations to support appropriate executive-level decision-making. It organizes and leads strategic projects, with a focus on defining business requirements, developing an appropriate business plan, identifying project risks and appropriate mitigations, defining costs/budgets and return on investment analysis, identifying and escalating issues, developing detailed project/action plans, and for defining content to be disseminated across the COH enterprise. Oversees consultant/contractor personnel as necessary who are assigned to strategic projects and serves as the key COH contact/liaison to these external firms. It also researches key market trends, business issues, directs the collecting and analyzing of quantitative and qualitative data, synthesizes analyses, identifies key findings and is responsible for presenting the conclusions at an executive level such that the final product can be utilized in executive team and board of director meetings and with external audiences. This role requires very strong executive-level presentation preparation and writing skills. The position works closely with executive-level leadership and key stakeholders across the COH enterprise including CEO staff, key physician leaders, and other key COH executives. This role also frequently interfaces and actively engages with executives within external companies on behalf of the President to appropriately advance COH's business strategies.Key Responsibilities include:Oversee and facilitate the Office of the President of Strategy and Business Ventures
Prepares and delivers reports with analysis, recommendations and action plans
- Responsible for the cross-functional coordination and budgetary management of all business units reporting to the President.
- Monitors team assignments and ongoing work to ensure timely and appropriate action.
- Leads and develops business planning associated with strategic initiatives as assigned by the President of Strategy and Business Ventures
- Executive-level liaison with external companies as required in support of COH's strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with the Executive Assistant within the Strategy Office.
- Advises and contributes in structuring identified and unidentified issues for resolution.
- Recommend courses of action related to identified issues.
- Manages all status reports associated with the Strategic Priority Initiative's (SPI's) rolling to the President of Strategy and Business Ventures.
- Handles the creation of board decks across the Office for all committees and boards.
- Work closely with HR functions to ensure initiatives, priorities, and standards of conduct, e.g. DE&I Initiative, are embraced and acted upon by members of the Strategy vertical.
- Information and Communication Management
- Acts as primary communication liaison between the office of the President, his/her direct reports, internal partners and external parties as appropriate.
- Promotes the timely flow of information to and from the President.
- Develops appropriate executive-level content necessary for President to present at external conferences/meetings.
- Manages work of outside consultants when needed in support of strategic initiatives. This oversight includes development of consultant/contractor SOWs, contract negotiation and development, and performing necessary performance management to ensure project success within defined cost parameters.
Process development and implementation
- Researches, organizes and summarizes data for special projects.
- Analyzes data for trends or conclusions and presents results and recommendations with subsequent action plans as necessary.
- Actively participates in business planning and ROI analysis for strategic projects.
- Supports leadership within the Office of the President on the implementation of key institutional strategic projects and programs
- Leads and makes recommendations related to special projects on behalf of the President's projects and programs.
- Defines objective, scope, internal requirements, key steps and timing.
- Plans, designs, develops, schedules and organizes people/resources (internal and external) to meet project objectives based on proposed activities and timelines.
- Monitors and communicates the progress of work performed across all levels within the enterprise.
- Works with key internal/external stakeholders.
- Prepares executive-level status reports on project plans, progress and results of activities.
- Leads implementation, as assigned
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Designs and develops systems, processes, and communications to enable senior and executive management to meet the mission and strategic priorities of the enterprise.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Health Care Administration, Operations Research, Public Health Administration, or other related field.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in healthcare administration, health care consulting, or a combination of these experiences in health care or a related field, preferably in a highly complex, matrixed organization such as an academic medical center, medical school teaching hospital or research university. Additional advanced education may partially offset minimum experience requirements.
- Master's in Business Administration, Hospital Administration or Public Health, or J.D.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.