The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub (https://www.czbiohub.org) is a one-of-a-kind independent nonprofit research institute that brings together three powerhouse universities—Stanford, UC Berkeley, and UC San Francisco—into a single collaborative technology and discovery engine. CZ Biohub itself supports some of the brightest, boldest engineers, data scientists, and biomedical researchers to make breakthroughs in medicine and develop new technologies, frequently in collaboration with our partner universities. We are guided by our values of scholarly excellence; disruptive innovation; hands-on engineering/hacking/building; partnership and collaboration; open communication and respect; inclusiveness; and opportunity for all.
- We pursue large scientific challenges that cannot be pursued in conventional environments
- We enable individual investigators to pursue their riskiest and most innovative ideas
- The technologies developed at CZ Biohub facilitate research by scientists and clinicians at our home institutions and beyond
Diversity of thought, ideas, and perspectives are at the heart of CZ Biohub and enable disruptive innovation and scholarly excellence. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all colleagues feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution.
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub seeks an outstanding scientist at any career stage to fill a Group Leader position (seniority level depending on experience) within the Infectious disease initiative.
Group leaders will build, direct, and actively participate in (including hands-on in the laboratory) a generously funded team conducting innovative and impactful systems virology research. The group’s focus should be aligned with the Biohub’s scientific mission to understand the fundamental mechanisms underlying disease and to develop new technologies that will lead to actionable diagnostics and effective therapies. Experienced virologists and technologists interested in the systematic analysis of virus-host interactions and viral pathogenesis are particularly encouraged to apply as they will be positioned to leverage our genomic, data science, imaging, bioengineering and mass spectrometry platforms to identify diverse and shared mechanisms driving viral infection and subversion of host cell defenses. Candidates should have a demonstrated track record of achievement and a commitment to work collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Be a hands-on leader that establishes and actively engages in an innovative, vigorous and collaborative research program aligned with the mission of CZ Biohub
- Actively contribute to our efforts to systematically study viral-host interactions
- Provide vision, technical guidance and mentorship to team members
- Work collaboratively and actively engage with colleagues throughout the Biohub to maintain our values of scholarly excellence, innovation, open communication, hands-on hacking, and partnership and opportunity
- Communicate progress and results with colleagues and the leadership team
- Publish and disseminate impactful findings and the products of your research as preprints (medRxiv, bioRxiv) and/or software repositories (e.g. Github)
- PhD or MD with relevant research experience
- A minimum of 2 years post-doctoral experience
- List of publications included with CV/resume
- Demonstrated leadership, track record of innovation, and ability to work collaboratively
- Supervisory or mentoring experience is a plus but not required for early-career applicants, but expected for more senior candidates
- A vision to carry out or continue an innovative and impactful research program
Chan Zuckerberg Biohub requires all employees, contractors, and interns, regardless of work location or type of role, to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster vaccine dose, if eligible, by their start date. Those who are unable to get vaccinated or obtain a booster dose because of a disability, or who choose not to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance must have an approved exception prior to their start date.
What We Provide
- Resources to disrupt and innovate at the frontiers of our knowledge of biology and disease
- A collegial and collaborative environment consisting of diverse expertise
- Existing collaborations within CZ Biohub: Technology Platforms (Bioengineering, Computational Microscopy, Data Science, Genomic Sequencing, Mass Spectrometry/Proteomics), Infectious Disease, and Quantitative Cell Science
- Access to collaborators, resources and facilities at our three partner universities (Stanford, UC Berkeley, and UC San Francisco) and at partner organizations in the Bay Area and beyond
- Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with the experience
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work Biohubbers do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world's leading scientists.
CZ Biohub is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all Biohubbers feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. CZ Biohub does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. CZ Biohub will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with CZ Biohub.