About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary:
Prepares specimens for analysis; performs and reports waived, moderate, or high complexity clinical laboratory procedures. Performs all procedures in compliance with written SOPs and FACT, AABB, ACHI, CAP, FDA and Joint Commission regulations. Assists in teaching students and staff. Works as authorized by the Laboratory Director under Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988, CFR Section 493.1445(a). Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Maintains knowledge of techniques for preparing and processing biological specimens for clinical analyses using universal precautions. Maintains knowledge and proficiency in manual, semi-automated and automated procedures.
- Performs a variety of complex laboratory tests and procedures according to prescribed protocols and assigned schedules. Completes procedures within established turnaround times.
- Reviews normal and critical results for accuracy and completeness before they are reported.
- Notifies supervisor of unusual results or discrepancies.
- Performs quality control procedures including preventive maintenance, calibrations, review of controls, and records data on appropriate forms. Supports and participates in the Quality Assurance efforts and Performance Improvement process.
- Utilizes standard laboratory equipment, and records and checks result for completeness and accuracy. Performs data entry of diagnostic information.
- Prepares and appropriately labels solutions, reagents, culture media, and stains according to standard formulas and procedures.
- Attends staff meetings and required institutional/safety training classes.
- Cross-trains (if applicable) through other sections within division/department. Develops and maintains skills to provide coverage as assigned by the supervisor.
- Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient service. Actively assists coworkers as needed. Maintains orderliness and cleanliness.
- Follows safety practices in work areas.
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality. Maintains a positive customer service image when dealing with division/department staff, patients, physicians, other City of Hope employees and outside vendors.
- Recognize, and resolve problems/adverse situations utilizing analytical thinking skills.
- Participates/maintains compliance with all competency requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's Degree
- New graduates
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License
- Schedule: Per Diem
- Shift: Evenings
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-AH