The successful candidate will join a team of ~45 scientists within the Primary Pharmacology Group (PPG) at our Groton, CT campus, providing laboratory and automation support for tip based and acoustic liquid handlers, automated screening systems, plate based and high content plate readers, and other types of laboratory equipment. Working collaboratively with PPG assay development and screening colleagues, (s)he will provide method development and emergency response for laboratory equipment in support of assay development, hit identification, and SAR screening for small molecule, phenotypic and genomic screens.
Applicants must have experience programming, troubleshooting and supporting various types of laboratory equipment and a generalunderstanding of biology, biochemistry, enzymology, and drug discovery. Also critical to the role is a demonstrated ability to rapidly become proficient with new technologies, equipment and software. In addition to technical skills, the candidate should possess strong collaborative, time management, customer service, and written/verbal communication skills.
The Primary Pharmacology Group offers a collegial and supportive environment for colleagues, with a culture encouraging openness, innovation and ownership of our science. We aim to provide scientific and growth opportunities for personal and career development commensurate with a colleague's goals and experience.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- This scientist will write methods / protocols on tip based and acoustic liquid handlers to support assay development and screening colleagues.
- They will provide emergency support for colleagues experiencing problems with methods or equipment and perform routine QC to help identify potential issues.
- This scientist will become involved in scheduling preventative maintenance visits, in future planning discussions for new equipment and in equipment installation and acceptance testing.
- This scientist will support automated robotic systems, writing methods for liquid handlers and using scheduling software to help screening colleagues set up automated runs.
- They will work with vendors to integrate new equipment on the system and troubleshoot/fix problems.
- This scientist will respond to problems with liquid handlers and other laboratory equipment, including plate based and high content plate readers, centrifuges, incubators, biosafety hoods, refrigerators and freezers.
- They will work with internal equipment repair colleagues and vendors to ensure equipment is repaired in a timely manner, providing frequent communication to PPG colleagues on equipment status.
- This scientist will help maintain asset lists, work with finance to ensure proper equipment tracking, and work with IT colleagues to ensure laboratory computers are compliant with Pfizer requirements.
- They will help maintain an equipment reservation system and equipment dashboard.
- BS or equivalent with 6+ years of experience relevant to in vitro drug discovery OR MS with 5+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Demonstrated experience programming and troubleshooting tip based and acoustic liquid handlers.
- Demonstration of excellent customer service, time management, computer, verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Biomek FX, Biomek NX and Biomek I7 tip based liquid handlers and LabCyte Echo acoustic liquid handlers.
- Experience with HighRes or other automated systems.
- Previous experience providing laboratory and automation support in an in vitro drug discovery laboratory.
- Knowledge of sharepoint, spotfire and other applications that could be used for equipment scheduling, issue tracking, and performance visualizations.
- Experience with other classes of laboratory equipment such as plate readers (examples: EnVision, Pherastar, Viewlux, Trilux, FLIPR, Spectramax), high content imagers (Examples: InCell, Opera Phenix), flow cytometers (iQue), biosafety hoods, incubators, centrifuges and freezers).
- Familiarity with in vitro assay technologies (examples: fluorescence, HTRF, TR-FRET, SPA, luminescence) commonly used in compound hit identification and screening.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Lifting, sitting, standing, walking, bending.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations, ability to perform complex data analysis.
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Most work will be performed during the standard work day, but ability to work flexible hours when needed is preferable.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development