At Pfizer we strive to deliver Breakthroughs That Change Patients Lives . Our Centers for Therapeutic Innovation (CTI) are an entrepreneurial group within Pfizer that collaborate with leading academic centers and biotech companies to translate the most promising science into novel therapeutics. CTI is seeking a Principal Scientist focused on preclinical research and drug discovery in the field of RNA medicines, based in New York City. CTI's state-of-the-art labs are located within the Alexandria Center for Life Science, in close proximity to several leading academic centers.
The ideal candidate will be an integral part of therapeutic research project teams that advance CTI's portfolio. They will work collaboratively with CTI personnel, other Pfizer colleagues and academic or biotech partners to meet aggressive project goals and timelines. The candidate will help drive biology strategy, identify and assess external collaborative opportunities, support assay development, and evaluate molecular mechanisms of action and drug-target pharmacology.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead collaborative research with academic partners to investigate the use of RNA modalities including mRNA, circular RNA, self-amplifying RNA and gene editing, to develop vaccines for infectious disease.
- Seek and evaluate opportunities for collaborations with academic experts, particularly in the fields of infectious and rare disease.
- Develop assays and research plans that explore the molecular basis for target activity and drug mechanism of action as it relates to disease pathology, including potency, pharmacology and efficacy
- Support multiple projects across therapeutic areas, with an emphasis on targets enabled by use of RNA therapeutic approaches.
- Provide leadership and expertise to team members in the area of RNA medicines
- Supervise research associates and/or scientists
- Present at group meetings, project team meetings, and site meetings
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Contribute to building a culture that embraces scientific excellence, urgency, partnerships with key stakeholders, continuous learning and improvement, increasing technical skill base and RNA medicine expertise
- Take a proactive role in personal growth and scientific development
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology or related field
- Postdoctoral experience and with 5+ years industry experience
- Track record of innovative and impactful research including peer-reviewed publications, preferably in infectious disease or vaccines - expertise preferred in vaccine biology, RNA pathways, viral or bacterial infectious disease.
- Ability to work in matrixed environment on cross-functional teams
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with multidisciplinary scientists, both internally and externally, excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills essential
- Demonstrated ability to identify, evaluate, propose and develop new experimental approaches
- Desire to work across different therapeutic areas, applying broad biological knowledge to different targets and teams simultaneously
OTHER JOB DETAILS
- Experience in RNA drug discovery preferred
- Experience in cell-based assay development beneficial
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral BonusPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development