About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary:
The Diabetes and Metabolic Research Institute within Beckman Research Institute at City of Hope seeks a Research Associate to perform standard laboratory molecular and cell biology techniques, towards understanding mechanisms that regulate pancreatic beta-cell development, function, and regeneration, as well as diabetes pathogenesis.
The candidate should have good organizational skills, experience in performing basic laboratory methods, and a mindset to learn new scientific skills. The applicant will perform experiments and collect data, master current lab protocols, and participate in establishing new techniques. The candidate will also assist the PI and other colleagues in the lab with ordering lab supplies and management of multiple inventories. The position will involve genetic and metabolic studies as well. Training will be provided for specialized techniques.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Utilizing laboratory equipment and established protocols, performs a variety of research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- May modify protocols.
- Write standard operating procedures and reports.
- Maintains records of work performed including results and methodology; utilizing records may calculate, graph and compile data.
- Develops techniques and expertise in one or more areas relevant to laboratory research project.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of materials.
Preferred education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences.
- 0-2 years of research/laboratory experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S. or B.A.) (with 1-2 years practical lab experience, such as a laboratory research course) or Masters degree (with 1+ year practical lab experience) preferred
- The applicant must be familiar with routine molecular biological techniques, such as DNA and RNA isolation, qRT-PCR, Western blot, cell culture, and other related techniques.
- Experience in tissue isolation, operation of a microtome and cryostat and histological analysis, is preferred.
- Ability to workindependently and willingness to work in a team-oriented manner.
- Strong work ethic and communication skills, meticulous and detail-oriented record keeping habits.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.