Discover your future as part of the IEEE team!
IEEE is the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community to innovate for a better tomorrow through highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities. IEEE is the trusted “voice” for engineering, computing, and technology information around the globe.
In this role, you will oversee the development, creation, maintenance, analysis and sun-setting of the IEEE Photonics Society's (IPS) publications portfolio; coordinating efforts in support of IEEE Photonics Society products through various committees and ad-hoc volunteer groups.
We will rely on your expertise on specific periodicals and the periodicals business for decision-related activities as well as look to you to manage activities related to the operation of the IEEE Photonics Society Digital Library.
Oversee the peer review support and production of IEEE Photonics Society publications, ensuring volunteer satisfaction, high quality standards, and performance within schedule and budget.
Key Responsibilities include:
* Support strategic and logistical planning associated with the proposal, launch, review, and sun-setting of IPS periodicals.
* Serve as project manager or lead with product/process development, improvement, or assessment in publications.
* Provide support and guidance for EICs of IPS publications and IPS representatives on the steering committees of co-sponsored publications.
* Manage the non-production aspects of IPS publications, including oversight/management of communications with communities and supporting marketing, promotional, and cross-promotional activities.
* Manage volunteer relationships and committee support.
* Serve as primary staff support for the publication proposal process.
* Coordinate launch activities for new publications.
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in English, Business, Marketing, Communications, or field related to publishing
* 4 – 7 years’ experience in the publishing business; with experience in the Scientific/Technical/Medical portion of the industry, scholarly publishing and non-profit environments preferred.
* 2 – 4 years’ management experience, preferably in publishing.
* Proficiency in electronic publishing practices with an demonstrated understanding of the use of technology to support publishing environments for both print and online access.
* Familiarity with basic factors of the economics of publishing, publishing measures of success and the Scientific, Technical and Medical (STM) marketplace.
* Project a knowledgeable, confident and professional demeanor and be accepted as a reliable and "go-to" source of expertise.
* Ability to establish and maintain rapport with all levels of staff and volunteers as well as effectively communicate with staff and volunteers for whom English is a second language.
* Detail oriented with the ability to handle multiple projects.
* Technologically savvy with the ability to develop technology solutions to business challenges.
* Ability to present conceptual, statistical and financial information in an accurate manner that is easily comprehended by staff and volunteers.
* Some travel may be required.
* Familiarity with content creation and periodical production/fulfillment processes is strongly desired.
* Business fluency in a foreign language helpful.
View the full job description and submit your resume at:
NO THIRD PARTIES PLEASE.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under [Category I—Office Position].
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Visit www.ieee.org to view details about open positions in one of our four offices: Los Alamitos, CA; New York City; Piscataway, NJ; & Washington, DC.
The IEEE is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.