The Senior Director for Scientific Affairs will report directly to the Deputy Chief Science Officer and will oversee, develop, and direct activities and initiatives related to scientific research, training, and infrastructure. The Senior Director for Scientific Affairs will work with other senior directors within the Science Directorate on strategic planning. The senior director will represent the directorate and psychological science to other components of APA as well as outside organizations. A primary goal for this position is to establish APA as a leader in field-wide science initiatives, both within psychology and the broader science community. This person will serve on the science leadership team.
Education and Experience Required:
- Doctoral degree in psychological science or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years of senior management experience in an area related to scientific psychology, research ethics, and research regulation.
- Understanding of the role of psychological science within multi-disciplinary research and training.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, including communication to psychological scientists.
- Microsoft Office: Advanced user. Email: Advanced user.Internet search tools and research databases, including PsycINFO: Advanced user.
- Develop training opportunities for psychological scientists that will focus on the integration of new tools and techniques to support cutting edge psychological research.
- Work collaboratively across directorates within the association to promote and further APA’s strategic priorities.
- May represent APA and the field of psychology in inter-organizational coalitions and working groups focused on research ethics and the responsible conduct of research, both in the US and internationally. May build and maintain collaborative relationships with other scientific associations and the academic community around concerns related to research ethics and responsible conduct of research.
- Supervise staff working on issues related to the future of psychological science and scientist training.
- Coordinate and execute meetings that advance the dissemination of psychological science that pertains to emerging issues.
- Oversee ongoing programming in science directorate
- Other duties as assigned.
The American Psychological Association (APA) represents 122,000 psychologists, students, and affiliates, primarily in the U.S. and Canada but also in other countries around the world. APA is a scientific and professional organization with about 500 employees and is categorized as a 501(c)(3) along with its 501(c)(6) companion organization, APA Services, Inc.
Job Location: Remote: APA jobs may be considered for remote work eligibility as defined in APA’s Flexible Work Policy and are subject to approval. Remote work employees may not work from the following states or U.S. territories: Alaska, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana, Nebraska, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, U.S. Virgin Islands, Washington, Wyoming.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a resume and cover letter specifying your salary expectations. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.
APA has a mandatory vaccination policy. All employees must be either fully vaccinated or receive approval from APA for an exemption (disability/medical or sincerely held religious belief) before beginning work at APA. By submitting your application, you agree that as a condition of employment, you must comply with APA’s mandatory vaccination policy and other health and safety requirements.