Senior Scientist – Gene regulation in innate and adaptive lymphocytes
A senior scientist position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Han-Yu Shih at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, MD. Shih lab aims to understand the mechanisms that precisely regulate gene expression in lymphoid cells through multidisciplinary genomic approaches. Lymphoid cells communicate the perturbation of homeostasis by production of cytokines, dysregulation of which results in neural and ocular inflammation in infectious, autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases. The candidates will investigate immunoregulation of neuroinflammation using “omic” approaches, with the ultimate goal for identifying potential therapeutic targets.
This position offers exposure to multidisciplinary and cutting-edge genomic research and opportunities to collaborate closely with experts in immunology, neurobiology, and bioinformatics. The candidates will be leading/co-leading projects, designing experiments for generating high-dimensional data while working closely with collaborators and lab members. He/she will be involved in lab maintenance and management. Opportunities for training in bioinformatics as well as mentoring postbacs or summer students will be available based on interest. Salary is commensurate with research experience and accomplishments.
Current projects are focusing on two major questions:
- How chromatin landscapes and transcription factors control innate and adaptive lymphoid cell development and activation?
- How cytokines and their producers contribute to the progression of aging and neurodegenerative diseases?
This position is subject to a background investigation
- Ph.D. in immunology, biology, neuroscience, and related fields.
- Self-motivated and keen to develop and/or learn cutting-edge technologies.
- Experiences in studying tissue-resident immune cells (e.g. gut, brain, liver……), or in gene regulation using genomic assays (e.g. ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq or Hi-C) are preferred.
- Basic programming skills in R and bash script is a plus but not required.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal and time management skills.
Interested candidates please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information of three references to: NEI Shih Lab firstname.lastname@example.org