2022 Call for Applications:
IBS Director position of “Center for Soft and Living Matter”
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, group research. IBS is currently operating 32 Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, Earth science and interdisciplinary sciences.
We are seeking candidates for the Director position of “Center for Soft and Living Matter”. We look forward to receiving applications from many excellent scientists.
2 May 2022
NOH Do Young
1. Information of the Position
○ One Director position of “Center for Soft and Living Matter”
- The center is located on the Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology(UNIST) in Ulsan, South Korea. Professor Steve GRANICK is the founding director of the Center for Soft and Living Matter, established in January 2014. We are seeking candidates for the next Director for the center.
- For more information about the Center, please visit https://www.ibs.re.kr/softmatt.
- Must be capable of conducting large-scale, long-term, group research in basic science
- Must possess the capability that is equivalent to that of a chair/endowed professor at a world-renowned university or a director at a Max Planck Institute in a relevant area of expertise, or have the potential to reach the aforementioned level in the near future
- Must be able to commit to basic science research at IBS for a long term (at least 10 years) and must have demonstrated scientific excellence
3. Selection Criteria
○ The applicant’s scientific excellence and adequacy of research plan will be reviewed by domestic and international scholars based on qualitative assessment.
- Scientific excellence: Quality and significance of the applicant’s research achievements, research capabilities and potential, and other relevant aspects
- Adequacy of research plan: Adequacy, reasonability and feasibility of the Center/group organization and operation plan, proposed budget and cost allocation, plan to nurture and support early career scientists, and mid- to long-term development plan and visions
4. Selection Procedure
Please note that the dates are subject to change.
○ By May. 2022: Accepting applications
○ By June. 2022: Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
○ By Sept. 2022: In-depth evaluation
○ By Oct. 2022: Comprehensive evaluation and consultation by the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB)
- The reasonability of the budget and cost allocation proposed in the application will be carefully reviewed during the selection and evaluation process for Directors.
- The proposed budget will be finalized after deliberation and approval by the IBS Research Review Committee.
The budget amount is subject to change based on availability of institutional budget.
- Applicants can include a detailed description regarding initial startup requirements, if needed: list of required research facilities and equipment, timeline, costs and other relevant information.
- If the applicant has plans to have Co-director(s) or Associate Director(s) within the proposed research period, relevant plans and required budgets must be specified in the application.
6. Position Details
○ Must work full time and salary will be negotiated with the IBS President.
○ Have the authority to organize their Center, including personnel, detailed research plan and budget allocation.
○ Not allowed to apply for other Korean government-funded research projects.
Candidates who are participating in projects awarded by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) Basic Science Research Programs may commence their research at IBS only after closeout or completion of the projects.
○ The Center will be evaluated periodically by international peer review committees every three years.
* Details are subject to change according to the evaluation and operation regulations.
7. Application Submission
- Fill in the application form in English, save it as a PDF file with the title “applicant name_Director_submission date” and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submission deadline: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 noon (12:00) KST
- Applicants who qualify for in-depth evaluation will be notified in July 2022.
○ Mr. Park Gi Hoon, Head of the Research Evaluation Team at +82-42-878-8143 or email@example.com
9. Link for 'Application Form' and 'FAQ'