As part of the new, ambitious, Data Science initiative at MDACC, we are establishing an innovative AI-augmented, Adaptive, Drug Discovery and Development computational Platform to accelerate the discovery and impact of novel therapies for cancer. The Platform will be intelligent and ever-learning. The Platform will enable novel opportunities for optimized therapies for patients with focus on rare and hard-to-treat cancers through development of novel machine learning and Al technologies.
The primary purpose of this Computational Scientist (Bioinformatics) is to carry out data preparation responsibilities; develop skilled bioinformatics and statistical programs; perform statistical analysis; and prepare written reports, manuscripts, and grant applications with investigators; working closely with the team and collaborators to discover novel therapeutic opportunities for cancer patients.Job Compentencies:
* Bioinformatics tools and pipelines especially for Whole Genome /Exome sequencing, RNAseq, ideally for both bulk and Single Cell Analysis
* Developing bioinformatics pipelines and analysis tools
* Unix, R/Matlab, Python
* Gene Set Enrichment and pathway analyses
* Whole Genome /Exome sequencing, RNAseq data analysis from raw data including evaluating outputs, optimizing parameters and summarizing findings
* Results interpretation (variant calling, functional annotation)
* Data visualization and biological interpretation
* Produce output for scientific publications and co-author said publications
* Data clean-up and QC of biological sequencing data
* Running bioinformatics pipelines on high performance computing.
Other duties as assigned.Service Orientation:
1. Conduct research and interactions with colleagues in a reliable, responsive, safe, friendly and courteous manner.
2. Promotes inclusiveness and collegiality by demonstrating respect and professionalism to others at all times
3. Models safe, ethical behavior, mitigating risk to the institution through sound business practices, and adherence to MD Anderson's Standards of Conduct, institutional policies and procedures
4. Meets time and attendance expectations and responds to requests in a timely manner, communicating expectations for procedures, service arrival, or project deliverables to coworkers
5. Admits when wrong, apologize and take steps to resolve a situation to help to coworkers before being asked.
Required: Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics or related field.
Preferred: PhD in Natural/Medical sciences or computational biology, ideally with postdoctoral experience EXPERIENCE:
Required: Five years experience in scientific software development/analysis. With Master's degree, three years experience required. With PhD, one year of experience required.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html