As part of the new, ambitious, Data Science initiative at MDACC, we are establishing an innovative AI-augmented, Adaptive, Drug Discovery and Development computational Platform to accelerate the discovery and impact of novel therapies for cancer. The Platform will be intelligent and ever-learning. The Platform will enable novel opportunities for optimized therapies for patients with focus on rare and hard-to-treat cancers through development of novel machine learning and Al technologies. The Senior Computational Scientist designs, analyzes, develops and assists others in the development of analysis tools focused on 3D protein structure analysis. Develops and oversees the maintenance of novel analysis pipelines and infrastructure for resolving specific problems. Manages and leads the development, testing and revision of programs. Working closely with the Platform team and collaborators, especially data scientists, to develop novel predictive algorithms for exploiting protein 3D structures for novel cancer therapies.
Know your business
* Analyzing & interpreting protein 3D structures
* Understanding of principles of protein structure rules, structural families and
* Computational handling of all Protein Databank (PDB) file formats and data streams including PBD/mmCIF
* Writing programs and algorithms for large-scale structural analysis
* Basics of molecular and homology modelling
* Basics of machine learning techniques and their application in structural analyses
Know your business of your department/institute
* Develop pipelines for ingesting large-scale protein 3D structural data from the PDB and other sources including handling of Cryo-Em structures
* Develop novel analysis pipelines for structural features
* Working with data scientists within the team, develop novel predictive algorithms to identify novel drug targets from 3D structures
* Develop functional annotations of mutations based on comprehensive structural analysis
* Homology modelling, model assessment and optimization
* Produce output for scientific publications and co-author said publications
* Present results at multidisciplinary project meetings
* Mentor interns and junior staff in 3D structural analysis.
Other duties as assigned.
1. Provide service to our customers, including patients, patient caregivers, referring physicians and each other, in a reliable, responsive, safe, friendly and courteous manner.
2. Promotes inclusiveness and collegiality by demonstrating respect and professionalism to others at all times.
3. Models safe, ethical behavior, mitigating risk to the institution through sound business practices, and adherence to MD Anderson's Standards of Conduct, institutional policies and procedures
4. Meets time and attendance expectations and responds to requests in a timely manner, communicating expectations for procedures, service arrival, or project deliverables to patients and coworkers.
5. Admits when wrong, apologize and take steps to resolve a situation to help to patients and coworkers before being asked.
1. Provides development opportunities and ongoing feedback to employees to include timely completion of administrative staff and classified employees each evaluation period.
2. Provides clear direction and communication to employees within unit.
3. Demonstrates cultural competence that creates an inclusive environment for the diversity represented within unit's staff.
4. Manages operating expenses to budget.
5. Completes required 16 hours of continuing education for people leadership skills per year.
6. Complete Management Curriculum within required timeframe.
Required: Bachelor's degree with a concentration in Science, Engineering or related field.
Preferred: PhD in Natural/Medical sciences or structural biology.
Required: Nine years experience in scientific software programming with a concentration in scientific computing. With preferred degree seven years of experience required.
Preferred: At least 5 years postdoctoral experience in protein 3D structure analysis.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html