As part of the new, ambitious, Data Science initiative at MDACC, we are establishing an innovative AI-augmented, Adaptive, Drug Discovery and Development computational Platform to accelerate the discovery and impact of novel therapies for cancer. The Platform will be intelligent and ever-learning. The Platform will enable novel opportunities for optimized therapies for patients with focus on rare and hard-to-treat cancers through development of novel machine learning and AI technologies. The Senior Computational Scientist designs, analyzes, develops and assists others in the development of bioinformatics analysis tools. Develops and oversees the maintenance of bioinformatics pipelines and infrastructure for resolving specific problems. Manages and leads the development, testing and revision of programs. Working closely with the Platform team and collaborators, will analyze and interpret data, propose hypotheses and contribute to the discovery of novel therapeutic opportunities for patients.
* Bioinformatics tools and pipelines especially for bulk and/or Single Cell Analysis including whole Genome /Exome sequencing, RNAseq
* Understanding of essential statistical methodologies required for bioinformatics analyses
* Developing bioinformatics pipelines and analysis tools
* Application of statistical methods and basic machine learning.
* Some experience in Deep Learning for bioinformatics desirable but not essential
* Unix, R/Matlab, Python
* Utilizing High Performance Computing to run large-scale analyses
* Pipelining tools (e.g Nextflow or similar)
* Gene Set Enrichment and network biology
* Creating, establishing and running bioinformatics pipelines on high performance computing
* Analyzing and interpreting outputs to generate insights and hypotheses from data
* Integration and analysis of multi-omic data
* Apply statistical analyses and basics of Machine Learning
* Develop analysis wrappers and tools in Python or similar
* Data clustering using state of the art and emerging techniques (t-SNE, UMAP, novel techniques)
* Produce output for scientific publications and co-author said publications
* Present results at multidisciplinary project meetings
* Mentor interns and graduate students for relevant projects.
1. Provide service to our customers, including patients, patient caregivers, referring physicians and each other, in a reliable, responsive, safe, friendly and courteous manner.
2. Promotes inclusiveness and collegiality by demonstrating respect and professionalism to others at all times.
3. Models safe, ethical behavior, mitigating risk to the institution through sound business practices, and adherence to MD Anderson's Standards of Conduct, institutional policies and procedures
4. Meets time and attendance expectations and responds to requests in a timely manner, communicating expectations for procedures, service arrival, or project deliverables to patients and coworkers
5. Admits when wrong, apologize and take steps to resolve a situation to help to patients and coworkers before being asked.
1. Provides development opportunities and ongoing feedback to employees to include timely completion of administrative staff and classified employees each evaluation period.
2. Provides clear direction and communication to employees within unit.
3. Demonstrates cultural competence that creates an inclusive environment for the diversity represented within unit's staff.
4. Manages operating expenses to budget.
5. Completes required 16 hours of continuing education for people leadership skills per year.
6. Complete Management Curriculum within required timeframe. Other duties as assigned
Required: Bachelor's degree with a concentration in Science, Engineering or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree or PhD with a concentration in Science, Engineering or related field.
Required: Nine years experience in scientific software programming with a concentration in scientific computing. With preferred degree five years of experience required.
Preferred Experience: 5 years' postdoctoral experience
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html