Staff scientist or research faculty position for small animal surgeon
Staff scientist or research faculty position for small animal surgeon to join the Chaikof lab at Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center to perform surgical procedures on rodents and generate animal models of disease. The staff scientist will create mouse models of cardiovascular, thrombotic, GI diseases, and cancer, and collect blood samples for assays. In addition, the staff member will conduct aseptic, vascular implant surgeries in rats.
Responsibilities will also include:
- Performing small animal (rat and mouse) surgery and pre and post-operative care, including conducting microvascular surgeries in mice and rats, as well as procedures to evaluate gene therapy candidates.
- Collaborate and provide training and mentorship to other members of the lab on technical procedures, as needed.
- Perform standard mouse procedures including plasma/serum collection, IV injections, necropsies, and tissue collection in compliance with established protocols.
- Performs dose administration procedures in rats and mice. Demonstrated competence in rodent dosing: PO, IP, SQ and topical
- Routine animal handling and restraint, weaning, tail snips, ear tagging, blood and other tissues sample collection, injections, treatments, euthanasia, and assists with research procedures as directed.
- Conduct in life safety assessments: monitor body weight, clinical observations, and survival of mice and rats.
- Performs routine daily observations in rats and mice.
- Maintain accurate records of animal assessments and study activities; document experimental data in laboratory notebook, including a description of the study purpose, activities performed, observed results, and variation from expected data patterns
- Coordinates and processes orders for animal medications (drugs, anesthetics, analgesics, etc.), documents distribution of same, and provides guidance on record keeping requirements.
- Assists with the receipt, stocking and maintenance of supply inventories
- Cares for and maintains laboratory animals in accordance with USDA Animal Welfare Act and policies, the “Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals,” and other applicable regulations and policies
Education & Experience: B.S./B.A. in science or M.D. or equivalent with 2 years direct laboratory animal work experience; or Associate Degree or equivalent in science with at least 4 years of direct laboratory animal work experience; or six years of direct laboratory animal work experience without a college science degree.
Skills & Abilities: Suitable organizational skills. Demonstrates an ability to use a computer to compile and maintain simple data, spreadsheets, checklists and reports for records and inventory. Exhibits an aptitude for quality, an eye for detail, the ability to follow written instructions and work with a minimum of supervision. Has an ability to work independently, as well as, in a team environment. Exhibits good written and oral communication skills. Maintains a commitment to adhere to all safety regulations and procedures. Demonstrates an ability to follow detailed instructions with a sense for scientific method. Establishes positive rapport with, and exhibits respect for co-workers, managers, and other employees.
Tools, Equipment & Other Resources Used: Various software applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) General laboratory equipment, including but not limited to fluid/syringe pumps, balances, lab mixers, incubators, centrifuges, pipettes, and hand tools.
Please send a letter of interest, CV demonstrating prior experience, and names of three referees to Elliot L. Chaikof, MD, PhD, Johnson and Johnson Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, firstname.lastname@example.org
Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology (hst.mit.edu/faculty-research/faculty/chaikof-elliot)
Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering (wyss.harvard.edu/team/associate-faculty/elliot-chaikof)
Harvard Stem Cell Institute (hsci.harvard.edu/people/elliot-chaikof-md-phd)
Harvard Medical School (https://connects.catalyst.harvard.edu/Profiles/display/Person/92440)
The Chaikof lab is located in the Center for Life Sciences (CLS) Building in the Longwood medical area, directly adjacent to Harvard Medical School. CLS 11090, 3 Blackfan Circle, Boston, MA 02115