The Research Assistant I position on the Human Genome Sequencing Center's (HGSC) Library CLIA workgroup will apply expertise in the area of genomic sequencing to clinical samples for the ongoing clinical sequencing projects. These projects are highly visible and impact the national reputation of the HGSC and of Baylor College of Medicine. We are continuing to see clinical sample throughput and the All of Us sequencing project is expected to be seeing sample throughput within the next two months, thus we are seeking to fill this position quickly. Even an experienced applicant will need training on our local processes before he/she is fully up to speed, which adds to the urgency of bringing a candidate on board rapidly.Job Duties
- Work independently and within a team to process samples in the production pipeline, as well as work on projects including protocol development and optimization.
- Work under the direction of the team leader and the group manager.
- Document experiment procedures. Collect, compile, evaluate and analyze data. Interpret detailed assay procedures and test results.
- Perform laboratory research projects and production tasks.
- Update LIMS, sample tracking and summarize data in an appropriate format.
- Prepare reagent, solutions, and oligos used for production.
- Perform routine laboratory equipment maintenance and log records as required.
- Track the inventory for reagents and report when furthering order is needed.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- ASCP or equivalent certification is preferred.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.