The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2019 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The Genetics Department is a basic science department located in the George and Cynthia Mitchell Basic Sciences Research Building at the world-renowned University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the heart of the Texas Medical Center. The focus is on advancing knowledge of the molecular genetic mechanisms that regulate normal and abnormal cellular processes.Key Functions
The Research Laboratory Coordinator
will manage the Cancer Genomics and Evolution laboratory's wet lab, and will be responsible for performing the majority of the Cancer Genomics and Evolution group's wet lab experiments, which include:
- Collection of fresh tumor material from surgery or autopsies, including logistics and accurate record maintenance
- Library preparation for various next-generation sequencing applications (DNA, RNA, linked reads, etc.)
- Single-cell dissociation and single-cell sequencing
- FACS sorting for ploidy analysis and single-cell isolation
- Tissue cutting
- Tissue staining for markers
- Laser capture microdissection
- Set up new experiments as new projects arise.
- Suggest experiments, interact with computational biologists in the lab, collaborators, and MD Anderson core facilities (FACS, sequencing, etc. ).
- General wet lab organization to ensure the following:
- Smooth day to day running of the experimental side of the group.
- Developing and documenting protocols in the lab.
- Performing health and safety assessments where needed.
- Laboratory consumables budget and coordinate the wet lab expenditure.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.EXPERIENCE
Five years of experience in scientific, research or clinical laboratory to include three years in a lead/supervisory capacity. With preferred degree, three years of required experience in a lead/supervisory capacity.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html