Postdoctoral Research Fellow/Research Scientist in Gene Therapy
EMPLOYER: Laboratory of Dr. Scott Q Harper, Center for Gene Therapy, The Abigail Wexner Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
LOCATION: Columbus, Ohio, USA
SALARY: Based on NIH Post-doctoral stipend guidelines, benefits include family health insurance, matched retirement account. Research Scientist range is $65-85K with full benefits, Senior Research Scientist range is $85-105K with full benefits
DISCIPLINE: Life Sciences, Gene Therapy, Molecular Biology, RNAi, CRISPR, Muscular Dystrophy, Peripheral Neuropathy, Neurological diseases
POSITION TYPE: Full-time
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Non-profit
The Harper lab is seeking self-motivated individuals interested in developing gene therapy and other translational approaches to treat muscular dystrophy, peripheral neuropathy and neurological diseases. Our lab currently has programs on Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy, LGMD1A, various forms of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and neurological diseases affecting the central nervous system. We are also open to developing new ideas and enabling a post-doctoral fellow or research scientist the intellectual freedom to build an independent program. A primary mission of our lab is career development for trainees at all levels. For example, four of our MD and/or PhD trainees recently acquired faculty positions at Research 1 institutions.
Contact Scott.Harper@nationwidechildrens.org with questions.
We can offer potential candidates:
- Up to 5 years of salary and project support
- Substantial financial support to develop new ideas
- Strong mentorship to support career development toward academia or industry jobs
- State-of-the-art laboratories and core facilities
- Affiliation with The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Relationship with Columbus-based startup company Armatus Bio
- Collaborations with clinical experts in neuromuscular and neurological diseases
- On-site GMP AAV vector manufacturing
We also believe strongly in work-life balance and provide any flexibility required to support the needs of post-docs who may also be raising families.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
Founded in 1892, Nationwide Children’s Hospital has evolved into one of the nation’s leading children’s hospitals. Named as a Top 10 Honor Roll “Best Children’s Hospital” since 2013, Nationwide Children’s is one of America’s largest not-for-profit freestanding pediatric health care systems providing wellness, preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitative care for infants, children and adolescents, as well as adult patients with congenital disease.
In partnership with The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Nationwide Children’s trains, mentors and advocates for the next generation of pediatricians, pediatric surgeons, pediatric specialists, and research scientists. Ohio State’s Department of Pediatrics is essentially housed at Nationwide Children's.
A few facts about Columbus, Ohio:
- Capital city of Ohio
- 14th largest city in the United States; 2.1M people in greater metro area
- One of the fastest growing cities in the US and the fastest growing city in the Midwest
- Numerous top-ranked schools and public school districts
- Affordable: Cost of living in Columbus is 40% lower than Boston, 55% lower than San Francisco, and 65% lower than New York City
- Diverse economy:
- Columbus is one of the 10 rising cities for startups, according to Forbes, and one of the 20 best cities in the U.S. for startups, according to Commercial Cafe.
- Headquarters of 5 Fortune 500 companies
- Fortune ranks Columbus the #1 city for tech jobs and Smart Asset calls Columbus the #1 American city to work in tech.
- $1 billion city and state government investment in the Columbus Innovation District
- Growing private biotech sector that includes Sarepta, Andelyn, AskBio, Amgen, Abbott, Forge, Battelle
- Culture (https://matadornetwork.com/read/columbus-ohio-cultural-center/) and outstanding food scene
- Home to:
- The top rated science museum in the US, COSI (2020 and 2021) – USA Today
- Columbus Zoo, consistently rated as top 5 in the nation
- Big-time sports: Ohio State Buckeyes football and basketball are consistently ranked near the top of the NCAA standings; NHL hockey, Columbus Blue Jackets; MLS Soccer, Columbus Crew
- 19 Metro Parks encompassing 230 miles of trails and over 28,400 acres of land https://www.metroparks.net/