Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Scientist/Senior Scientist, Biochemical and Cellular Pharmacology
We are seeking a talented Scientist/Senior Scientist to join the Biochemical and Cellular Pharmacology Department at Genentech. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic and highly motivated team driving the characterization of large molecule drug candidates that are being developed for various diseases in the neuroscience therapeutic area.
Who You Are
You will be responsible for the development, optimization and execution of functional pharmacology assays especially utilizing complex cellular or engineered organoid/tissue models to support our protein therapeutic discovery programs for the selection and advancement of lead molecules. This position requires working with multidisciplinary teams, including biology team members from Discovery Research, as well as with Antibody Engineering, Protein Chemistry, Structural Biology, Pharmacokinetics and Safety Assessment. You are expected to represent Biochemical and Cellular Pharmacology on project teams and contribute at the bench as well as at strategic levels. A strong candidate will be enthusiastic about supporting the operation of a dynamic laboratory, have great attention to detail and superior organizational skills. Working with automation and bioinformatics experts, the individual will be expected to implement robust and high throughput sample preparation as well as data analysis workflows. You will have the opportunity to design and execute complex screening cascades for multiple projects, conduct detailed data analyses and present these to project teams and senior management.
- Ph.D. in molecular and cellular biology, neuroscience or a related field and candidates with at least 3 or more years of relevant post-doctoral experience will be considered for Senior Scientist.
- Deep knowledge and hands on experience with human embryonic or induced pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs). Differentiation of hPSCs to various cell types for the aim of disease modeling and drug discovery.
- Demonstrate experience with CRISPR gene editing in hPSCs.
- Extensive experience in utilizing confocal microscopy, and high-content imaging for developing complex cell-based assays.
- Ability to adopt and leverage rapidly advancing, new technologies to promote strategic aims.
- Excellent teamwork, communication, time management, organization skills and ability to work independently.
- Focus on quantitative methods to drive results, and demonstrate resilience and persistence in their experimental approach
- Familiarity with automated or semi-automated instrumentation, while not required, would be advantageous, as would familiarity with the multi-disciplinary activities of antibody lead profiling
- Strong record of high-profile publications
- Experience with in vitro drug screening.
- Proficiency with differentiation of hPSCs to neurons, astrocytes and microglia.
- Experience with hPSC derived complex 3D brain organoids models in drug discovery.
- Previous pharmaceutical/biotech experience in relevant models.
Who We Are
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. To solve the world's most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.