As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) is a German-Polish research center for data-intensive digital systems research. CASUS was founded in 2019 in Görlitz and conducts digital interdisciplinary systems research in various fields such as earth systems research, systems biology and materials research.
CASUS invites applications as PostDoc (f/m/d) Aircraft development for real-time adaptive surveying with UAV swarms. The research work is carried out in close cooperation with the Center for Advanced System Understanding (CASUS), Görlitz, and the Karlsruhe Institut für Technologie, Institute of Industrial Information Technology (KIT-IIIT).
The position will be available from 1 June 2022. The employment contract is limited to three years. The successful candidate (f/m/d) will spend 27 months at HZDR-HIF and KIT-IIIT and 9 months at CASUS.
Within the scope of the advertised position, methods for autonomous multi-UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) for the characterization of inaccessible targets are to be researched.
- Development of an autonomous multi-UAV system for real-time target detection, localization, and characterization
- Implementation of on-board processing, data transfer, drone communication, and automated flight planning
- Design and optimization of respective code packages
- Validation first on simulation data, later on field studies including flying platforms
- Linking the research at the hosting institutions, including repeated visits at the institutes
- PhD degree in Robotics, Computer Vision, Information Technology, or related fields
- Experience with automation/robotics, in particular drone technology (communication, navigation, flight planning, data transfer)
- Experience with ROS, Simulation of Multi Drone operation and respective coding skills
- Advantageous are experience within the fields of spectral imaging, geophysical exploration, geology/resources or remote sensing
- Good German and English language skills (verbal and written)
- Self-motivation and good communication skills within an international team
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 days of paid holiday leave
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
Possibility to work part-time
Flexible working hours
In-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.
For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Michael Bussmann Tel.: +49 3581 37523 11,
Dr. Richard Gloaguen Tel.: +49 351 260 4424,
Mr. Philipp von Haymerle Tel.: +49 3581 37523 21, +49 171 3650878
Place of work: Görlitz
Working hours: 39 h/week
Deadline: 13 May 2022
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400