Will learn/be trained in single cell RNA/DNA sequencing and preparation of molecular libraries thereafter. The goal of our research is to understand how leukemia and immune cells talk to each other. The primary responsibility is to perform technical laboratory duties, learn new technologies, and assist in research efforts throughout the laboratory. Thus, an enthusiastic, curious, careful and thorough mindset is required. Applicant should be excited to join a lab culture of creativity, camaraderie, and collegiality.CORE VALUES
KEY FUNCTIONS Research Experiments and Projects
- Caring: By our words and actions we demonstrate caring toward everyone.
- Integrity: We work together with professionalism to merit the trust of our colleagues and those we serve in all that we do.
- Discovery: We embrace creativity and seek new knowledge from diverse perspectives.
- Safety: We provide a safe environment - physically and psychologically - for our patients, for our colleagues and for our community.
- Stewardship: We protect and preserve our institutional reputation and the precious resources - people, time, financial and environmental - entrusted to us.
** Maintains and establishes tissue culture cell lines, which requires good sterile technique and ability to determine cell counts and cell viability using microscope and hemocytometer. Prepares sterile media and solutions. Monitors, orders and shelves tissue culture supplies. ** Prepares cells for cryogenic storage and subsequent re-establishment of viable cell lines. ** Packs and mails cell lines to collaborators using dry ice. ** Some protocols require work on weekends/holidays and time away must be coordinated with other staff to ensure cell lines are maintained. **Capability to adapt in a fast-paced, learning environment.Laboratory Functions (responsibilities not limited to the below, which are examples)
** Performs basic molecular biology and tissue culture techniques in manipulation of DNA, RNA and protein as well as primary cells and established cell lines. Requires techniques for handling chemicals. Requires ability to calculate molarity, accurately prepare media solutions and reagents using a pH meter, balances, electrophoresis apparatus, and the use of acids, polyacrylamide solutions, flammable materials and other biohazards, according to institutional safety policies.Laboratory Maintenance
** Maintains clean and neat work area in laboratory to ensure efficient functioning and pleasant/safe work environment. Responsible for ordering laboratory supplies, maintaining inventory and calling vendors when service calls are required. Responsible for bi-weekly wipe tests and coordinating waste disposal. Follows written instructions/operations manuals. **Other duties as assigned.COMPETENCIES
Analytical Thinking - Gather relevant information systematically; break down problems into simple components; make sound decisions.
Innovative Thinking - Approach problems with curiosity and open-mindedness; offer new ideas, solutions and/or options.
Technical/Functional Expertise - Demonstrate technical proficiency required to do the job; possess up-to-date knowledge in the profession; provide technical expertise to others.Service Orientation
Provide service to our stakeholders, including patients, caregivers, colleagues and each other, in a safe, courteous, accountable, efficient and innovative manner to include:
• Promoting inclusiveness and collegiality that demonstrates respect and professionalism to our stakeholders at all times
• Modeling safe, ethical behavior that mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices, and adherence to MD Anderson's Standards of Conduct, institutional policies and procedures
• Responding to requests in a timely manner while proactively communicating expectations for procedures, service arrival, or project deliverables to stakeholders
• Using the steps to HEAL (Hear, Empathize, Address and Learn) the relationship when service recovery is neededEducation
Required: Bachelor's degree, major course work in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred Experience: Some experience in scientific or experimental research work.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html