NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is a 591-bed university-affiliated medical center, which offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are a major regional healthcare resource with a deep commitment to medical education and research, offering a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Associate.
The Research Associate will work on an exciting program exploring expression and function of proteins in the brain in Alzheimer’s disease (AD). This bench-to-bedside research is supported by an award from the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America and has applications in understanding and treating AD.
Qualified candidates must have a Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline such as Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology or Neuroscience. At least 4 years of hands-on laboratory experience with DNA, RNA, protein analysis, tissue culture, histology, flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry are required. The candidate will be expected to work with human neuronal cells, monocytes/macrophages, and glial cells in order to elucidate neurotoxic processes. Knowledge of central nervous system structure and function are desirable. Knowledge of various scientific databases and experience with publishing or presenting experimental results highly desirable. The research associate will supervise laboratory technicians, analyze data, and assist in all aspects of manuscript and grant preparation. May use discretion in prioritizing and organizing workflow and in optimizing methodologies and results. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated critical thinker with excellent work habits, and scientific and personal integrity. Teaching and supervising of medical students and house staff expected.
The Institute offers excellent facilities in a stimulating, multi-disciplinary working environment. There is opportunity for advancement toward independence.
- Engages in research project. Understands specific aims and carries out appropriate experiments. Makes alterations in strategy where necessary. Assists technicians with experimentation and troubleshooting. Assists in training fellows, residents, and summer staff.
- Sets forth daily plan and completes experiments in a timely manner organized with written plans outlining experiments. Ensure laboratory notebook is organized and is legible.
- Produces valid and reliable results and seeks guidance in changing approach as necessary. Uses data analysis and interpretation tools and states conclusions clearly in both oral and written form. Ensure figures are prepared for meetings publication.
- Uses a variety of appropriate strategies to attain knowledge that is usable and applicable. Uses resource materials and tools of inquiry. Uses library and internet. Interacts with other scientists. Asks questions. Contacts technical services as necessary.
- Conceives and plans experiments based on past results and current literature. Creates back-up plans when experiments do not work.
- Responsible for laboratory resources. Orders reagents in a timely manner. Maintains detailed records of purchases expenditures. Keeps within budgetary constraints.
- Maintains animal colony. Works with and cares for small laboratory research animals. Assists with animal surgeries.
- Performs other duties as assigned
To qualify you must have a Doctoral degree in Biomedical Science. 1 - 2 years minimum, 4 years strongly preferred, of research experience required. Working knowledge of lab instruments (spectrometer, microscopes, centrifuges, autoclaves, etc. ) and supplies. Strong communication (both written and oral), interpersonal, detail orientation, multitasking skills. Exhibits creativity, and initiative. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office especially Excel and Word. Proficiency in molecular biological and cellular biology techniques.
4 years experience with various molecular, cellular, or biochemical techniques; scientific calculations, scientific graphing, and scientific data log.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.