Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Amherst Biology Imaging (ABIC) Center Director position. The Amherst Biology Imaging Center (ABIC) Director is a full-time, year-round position, job group and level PT-4. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The biology department at Amherst College seeks a director for the newly commissioned Amherst Biological Imaging Center (ABIC). The ABIC will provide the diverse Amherst College faculty and students access to state of the art microscopy and powerful image analysis software. The new imaging center was enabled by an NSF major instrumentation award to support the purchase of a multifunctional confocal imaging system with optogenetic, super-resolution, cross-correlation spectroscopy, and live-cell imaging capabilities. The center will comprise 400 square feet of lab space in the Amherst College Science Center and will also house additional confocal, widefield, and image analysis systems. The new imaging center director will nucleate a community around advanced imaging in support of student and faculty research and training. The ABIC director will oversee the daily technical operations of the center, help troubleshoot experiments, provide training, coordinate data management, track and assess instrument usage and impact, and evaluate and investigate new imaging modalities to ensure the center's continued growth. The ABIC director shall perform their duties in accordance with the mission of the College to support a diverse workforce and create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Facility User Training
- Provide essential instruction and work direction to a diverse set of facility users and faculty on ABIC instrumentation and procedures used in the various microscopy methods supported by the core facility.
- Train facility users in the appropriate use of data analysis packages and methods, image processing, and quantification of data.
- Create and maintain detailed instruction manuals and supporting materials for ABIC microscopes and routine image analysis tasks.
Research Design and Consultation
- Provide individualized technical consultation on advanced imaging modalities and
- Provide consultation on image processing and quantification methods to center users.
Maintenance and Management
- Perform general preventative maintenance and upkeep of ABIC microscopes.
- Troubleshoot maintenance and technical issues and interface with microscopy representatives.
- Manage user access and oversee scheduling of ABIC microscopes and image analysis systems.
- Design and implement data storage and management protocols.
- Ensure assigned areas, and various pieces of equipment are clean and prepared.
- Ensure core facility is in compliance with EH&S protocols and procedures.
- Keep database of ABIC records.
- Compile Quarterly reports including usage statistics and projections, maintenance issues, assessments of microscopy needs and evaluation of new imaging modalities and products to support the growth of the ABIC.
- Collaborate closely with the Biology Chair and ABIC Advisory Committee on center operations and needs.
- Supervise 1-2 undergraduate student academic interns who will assist with training, maintenance and analysis tasks in the imaging facility as needed.
- Assist in preparation of grants, progress reports and annual protocols for the ABIC.
- Keep up to date with new technical advances in microscopy and attend relevant training workshops as needed.
- Overseeing the annual assessment of additional Biology department teaching and demonstration microscopes.
Education & Outreach
- Support the educational mission of the ABIC and the Advisory Committee including the design and preparation of teaching materials for courses, boot camps and outreach activities.
- Work collaboratively with faculty to align learning experiences, goals, and schedules.
- Work effectively towards a diverse and inclusive community .
- Manage internal and external communication with center users at Amherst College and across the Five College Community.
- Master's degree in Biology, Physics, or other related discipline with knowledge of optics, cellular and molecular biology.
- Ph.D. or Master's degree in Biology, Physics, or other related discipline with knowledge of optics, cellular and molecular biology.
- A demonstrated record of professional experience with light microscopy including the use and maintenance of confocal imaging systems.
- Experience with use and maintenance of confocal imaging systems and advanced light microscopy techniques, such as super resolution, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy and live cell imaging.
- Knowledge of digital image processing and associated computer skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a desire and ability to contribute to a collaborative environment, and a dedication to carrying out their work to enhance the institutional goal of inclusive excellence.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
P r e f e r r e d :
- Ph . D. with specific experience working with and building optical systems for biological research applications .
- Experience with advanced light microscopy techniques including fluorescence cross-correlation spectroscopy and live cell imaging.
- Demonstrated track record of effective teaching or training students.
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure itmeets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information .
Interestedcandidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/KMlEZzsaVow1pFgRyHLZyk