IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
- Center for Epitaxial van der Waals (vdW) Quantum Solids is one of the most recent IBS centers (established in Fab. 2022) on fundamental materials physics, which was hosted at Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) as a campus center. The center set clear and specific missions: (1) to create “synthetic vdW solids at system scales”, where their crystal lattice structures are artificially controlled in atomic precision by advanced epitaxy in system scales, and (2) to explore their potentials into new types of “vdW quantum devices”. A whole new avenue of these vdW quantum solids will be explored synergically among director and associate directors by a one-team spirit.
- For more information, visit https://dmpl.postech.ac.kr/.
2. Job description
(1) The associate director on the subject of epitaxy theory (Growth kinetics of van der Waals materials)
- This associate director position will serve important roles in assisting the founding director and other research groups of the center to achieve the goal of the research center, particularly in the research area of the epitaxy, characterizations, properties measurements of van der Waals materials and van der Waals heterostructures toward new quantum solids.
- The associate director will lead a theory group within the center to conduct the world-class research on van der Waals materials, such as the mechanisms of diverse vdW heterostructures and their physical properties by using the state-of-the-art computational methods and/or theoretical modeling.
- Applicants should have a strong record of scholarly achievement at theoretical physics and/or computational materials science, research experiences of vdW materials, a significant record of securing external funding and evidence of leadership ability in computational physics and/or materials science.
- The candidates must have experience managing a large research program and staff within an academic institution (or equivalent agency responsible for research) and be able to articulate a strong vision to further the research and outreach programs in IBS.
- The successful candidates should be able to acquire the full professor level position at POSTECH.
(2) The associate director on the subject of device physics on van der Waals heterostructures
- Associate directors will play pivotal roles in assisting the founding director to achieve the goal of the research center as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific field of research solicited for associate director is condensed quantum matters and emergent phenomena based on spins, topology, symmetries, and broken symmetries.
- Applicants should have a strong track record of research achievement with the international-level recognition, and leadership ability in his/her research field.
- The candidates must have experience leading large research programs and managing a group in academic or equivalent research institutions and be able to articulate an insightful vision to further the research and outreach programs in IBS.
- The candidates must be able to deliver the impactful research outputs through strong driving forces and leaderships within reasonable timeline.
- The successful candidates should be able to acquire full professor level positions at Postech
3. Requirements for the positions
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves entirely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups in collaboration with the director of the Center.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of leaders in the international community of his or her research field.
- The associate director candidate be proficient in dealing with audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policymakers regarding the relevant scientific and policy issues as a highly credible representative of the center. The position calls for vision, insights, driving forces, and good judgment; intellectual leadership skills; excellent communication skills; a keen sense of public and scientific policy; financial and team management skills.
- Authority to run his/her own research team.
- Sizable independent research budget (the successful candidate may negotiate with the director of the center to finalize the size of his/her research budget and how to set up his/her budget account if necessary).
- Tenured or permanent position.
- Competitive salary that is negotiable.
5. General Selection Procedure
① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
③ Symposium and in-depth interview by in-depth evaluation panel
④ Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about recommendation
⑤ Negotiation with the director
⑥ Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- Fill out the application form in English and email it as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Day Month.
- E-mail title needs to be “Applicant name_Center for Epitaxial van der Waals Quantum Solids”
[ Contact Information ]
Name Jihye Jung, Center for Epitaxial van der Waals Quantum Solids
LEE Seunghyun, Research Evaluation Team
Division of Research Service, Institute for Basic Science
(34126) 55, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea
* For more information, please visit IBS website (www.ibs.re.kr).